Mane woes. *sobs*

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well my chestnut mare's long, flowing mane is no more. :(

She suddenly rubbed loads of it out and what was left had been turned into dreadlocks that I couldn't brush out. So she is now sporting a short mane that is whispy in places and thick in others, with a long forelock. I know that she'll grow it back, but i just want to know why she was suddenly so itchy. I'm going to worm her incase it's those neck worm things and sort out a fly rug with neck cover incase it's insects causing the problem. I really hope that she hasn't developed sweet itch at 17 yo (so far the skin looks OK and she hasn't rubbed her tail).

Jo1987

Visit site
Oh dear, I hope there's not a more sinister reason for it, perhaps she just got a few nasty midge bites and couldn't stop itching once she'd started? My boy rubbed out half his forelock about a month ago but hasn't rubbed since so I think that may have been what happened.
What a shame about her long mane, I've always wanted a horse with a nice flowing mane but all 3 of mine are complete scruffs and ruin theirs as soon as they start to look nice!

Leo Walker

Visit site
If shes just done it, it might be the grass flushing? My old horse had "sweetitch" but it wasnt really midges that were his issue. Its the grass he cant handle, and its just the midges that cause the symptoms. Hes fine on any sort of grass, but if hes not managed properly, then a midge bite sets off the sweet itch

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
She's on quite poor grazing at the moment, but we've had a lot of rain and it is mild, so the grass will be growing.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
She's her normal self and isn't in season at the mo. If she keeps on rubbing she'll have to have a visit from her friend the vet.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
This happened to my New Forest last summer - if it's any consolation, it's growing back nicely & not too far of it's original length now. It's actually thicker this time around :)

Hopefully your girls does the same!

sasquatch

Visit site
I'm sure B won't mind lending her some of his shoulder length, black, double mane!

he has also rubbed parts of it, however as his is so thick he now just appears to have a very stylish layered curl hairdo. His new favourite itchy spot is his neck/shoulders, so it might be she just had an itch and has managed to rub mane out if she's scratched on something like a fence post.