Manege Problems Again!

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
JAK, have a walk round the arena and see which corner the fall goes to, then make a channel from that corner in the outside, if there are sleepers round they may be trapping the water, if so suggest to the yard manager you move two apart to allow it to drain away.
We have built three arenas over the years, the first a no frills ash one worked well even with no drains. The second a mega expensive 15k job was quarry sand and the membrane didn't stay down, and stones worked their way up, but it was rideable even in downpours.
This latest is a dream and in torrential rain the water pours out like a river from the lowest point, even with no drains at all. I have a horrible feeling your arena hasn't got enough fall on it, and that could be causing the water to puddle not drain away.
If it has drtains they should work.
I'd do some investigating if I were you, this may be solvable with a minimum of work...

JAK

Visit site
Cheers hh, will have a poke around in it tonight then!
smile.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
The schools here have to be watered heavily and regularly (sometimes several times a day) to a) keep them rideable and b) stop them blowing away!
Our school in contrast has been so neglected that it is has lost alot of sand and is rather rocky and hard. Way we're sorting it out is by dumping all the poo and wet shavings from beds on to it and raking it out. Course, it helps that it's hot, dry and sunny every day so it stops smelling very quickly and once horses have trodden it in a bit, you can't even tell 50% of it is sh:t!

amage

Visit site
pretty much never. ours is a surface that is better with more rain. the wetter the better in fact. the rare occasions we can't use it is first thing in morn in the dead of winter cause it can freeze,

Lucy_Ally

Visit site
At the old yard I had the same problems, plus it was varying depth so Spring found it very difficult going no matter whether it was wet or dry. Also the base was breaking up so there were large pieces of concrete and stones randomly scattered about
crazy.gif

At the new yard the school is much better it is rubber and sand mix and doesn't get waterlogged at all and isn't deep or dusty when dry. We have also had a new surface put in the indoor school so its no longer dusty - so we really have no excuse not to ride whatever the weather!

Having put up with a rubish school and poor hacking - I would be inclined to start looking elsewhere.

teapot

Visit site
Yard's first arena used to be sand before it was converted into a rubber one and htey used to use a pump on it to take most of the surface water off

Nightmare riding in a sand arena - thank god for rubber ones

Fiona

Visit site
Agree with Patches, apart from frost, or v occasionally gets dusty in the summer, ours is fab.
I have to say though, it cost a hell of a lot of money to do, and I would be furious if I couldn't ride on it because of waterlogging.
Our sand is dredged from Lough Neagh, and has qute large particles, nearly gravel in it, was recommended for menages, and is v good.

Fiona

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Never, even in the heaviest of rain ours never ever floods, love it!

We had a company install it about 10 years ago with all the proper drainage and membranes. It's a silica sand mix with small plastic chipping type things in it, difficult to explain.

If possible I would get some advise and then look at re drain-ageing it?

JAK

Visit site
Thank you for all replies! *sniff sob* Clearly our manege is simply, err, pants!
frown.gif

I will try & get a definite answer out of YO as to whether it is going to be fixed asap or not, as if it isn't.........?!? I feel sorry for her, as she is just as disappointed as the liveries are about it!
frown.gif