Manuka Honey - a revelation!!

KrujaaLass

Visit site
My daughter was advised to give baby manuka honey because he has a very bad chest after getting broncholitis when he was a few weeks old. Dont know if it works yet as only been using it for a couple of weeks

AndySpooner

Visit site
About 10 yrs ago we were using Manuka honey on some really bad cuts one of our horses had sustained on her legs, the vet we had at the time was very dismissive about it and I remember her saying that it would provide an excellent medium for infection.

We continued to use it and the wounds healed without scarring.

I was told about it by an Australian girl working with us at the time, and we used 'ordinary' Manuka honey, I cannot remember if the medical grade stuff was available at that time, but couldn't find out much about the medical uses of honey.

steadyeddy

Visit site
Recommend it! We used it on a yearling who had a horrific wound to his shoulder. Stitches did'nt hold at all, & a terrible infection set in. Gently cleaned the wound 3x/day with diluted hibiscrub, then applied the manuka honey. Every day there was improvement, yes very expensive - but worth every penny!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Was talking about this the other day with my vet who says he's read of studies being done that say Manuka is not a lot different (in healing results) from normal honey. How right that is I don't know but plan to put it to the test shortly on Kitty's wound (another done on a gate post!) so will keep you posted.

Tnavas

Visit site
Was talking about this the other day with my vet who says he's read of studies being done that say Manuka is not a lot different (in healing results) from normal honey. How right that is I don't know but plan to put it to the test shortly on Kitty's wound (another done on a gate post!) so will keep you posted.

Your vet has it wrong - 'Active Manuka Honey' has a far higher healing rating than any other honey.

Soulfull - Medical grade honey is no different from the honey that you buy from the supermarket - it's just a way to make you pay more - all honey is sterile. Ever seen the honey in a jar grow mould, like jam does? All you have to be sure is that you buy 'ACTIVATED MANUKA HONEY'

Last edited:

2Conker

Visit site
Your vet has it wrong - 'Active Manuka Honey' has a far higher healing rating than any other honey.

Soulfull - Medical grade honey is no different from the honey that you buy from the supermarket - it's just a way to make you pay more - all honey is sterile. Ever seen the honey in a jar grow mould, like jam does? All you have to be sure is that you buy 'ACTIVATED MANUKA HONEY'

Agree.....the best for all types of wounds-use it too on sparring cat, both internally and externally. Also, fed to friend with IBS, most effective, and human wounds respond quickly. Honey used for on-going problems such as leg ulcers that wont heal in humans (by hospitals too again in some cases). Understand it's the UMF (unique manuka factor) that's key - needs to be 15+ strength for real power- and pure honey, not honey made from bees fed sugar (is this right?) as is often the case for toast! Not cheap, but I keep it in my First Aid kit-it doesnt go off.

Old remedies can still be the best!!

applecart14

Visit site
Has anyone used this? I used it on a wound my boy managed to inflict on himself whilst on box rest (I kid you not!!). It is fantastic. Within a couple of days, the wound had granulated beautifully and it is now scabbed and very clean.
I cannot recommend it highly enough.
A couple of people at the yard have had similar experiences and we now regard it as somewhat of a miracle cure.
Just wanted to share.

PS - apparently it is very good in hot water for humans if you have a dicky tummy

Not on a horse but my Dad was treated for it at the hospital for his leg ulcer which he had for over two years. They dressed his leg with it before applying the bandages and support stockings. Not really sure if it helped much though but his leg has eventually healed now.

Tnavas

Visit site
Understand it's the UMF (unique manuka factor) that's key - needs to be 15+ strength for real power- and pure honey, not honey made from bees fed sugar (is this right?) as is often the case for toast! Not cheap, but I keep it in my First Aid kit-it doesnt go off.

Old remedies can still be the best!!

Manuka is a tree found in New Zealand bush - It has many small beautiful coloured flowers - was called a 'Tea Tree' by Captain Cook who used it to brew up a drink when he discovered New Zealand. Manuka makes up a very large part of the native bush so the honey is very pure. It is in flower for much of the year - I have a fushia pink one in my garden.

This is a pic of a Manuka Tree
manuka4.jpg

2Conker

Visit site
Manuka is a tree found in New Zealand bush - It has many small beautiful coloured flowers - was called a 'Tea Tree' by Captain Cook who used it to brew up a drink when he discovered New Zealand. Manuka makes up a very large part of the native bush so the honey is very pure. It is in flower for much of the year - I have a fushia pink one in my garden.

This is a pic of a Manuka Tree
manuka4.jpg

Thank you Evelyn that's very interesting. Someone had said to me it was a Tea Tree bush, they'd seen in Australia and it was the same as Manuka-but I wasnt sure. Now I know It looks lovely, isnt scented and can I grow one over here!

Tnavas

Visit site
Thank you Evelyn that's very interesting. Someone had said to me it was a Tea Tree bush, they'd seen in Australia and it was the same as Manuka-but I wasnt sure. Now I know It looks lovely, isnt scented and can I grow one over here!

Not sure if you can get them in UK - would be worth asking at garden centres - they are so pretty when in flower - the leaves are very tiny and its sort of evergreen. They come in white, cerise, red, pinks of all hues and two toned petals.

Chocy

Visit site
Manuka also really good for GI probs-Friends horse gets v bad diarrhoea during winter when out on grass for less time in summer we give him 3 spoons honey in his tea for 4/5 days-Problem sorted!!!! Obv diarrhoea does reoccur but manuka keeps it away for up to 4 mnths at a time so well worth it!!!

2Conker

Visit site
Manuka also really good for GI probs-Friends horse gets v bad diarrhoea during winter when out on grass for less time in summer we give him 3 spoons honey in his tea for 4/5 days-Problem sorted!!!! Obv diarrhoea does reoccur but manuka keeps it away for up to 4 mnths at a time so well worth it!!!

Interesting; was first told that manuka honey was really good for IBS! Recommended it to a friend with it, and worked really well for her too. Not stop it altogether - has to cut out wheat bread etc too - but excellent result. Brilliant that it works for horses too.

aimeetb

Visit site
Manuka honey can be a fantastic healer. But please only use medical grade Manuke Honey if putting it on open wounds (especially deep ones!).The normal shop bought ones are not sterile and may intoduce infection into the wounds. Ive seen a horse whose trainer put normal manuka honey on his hock starting 6 days after arthroscopy - hock became v swollen and the honey caused quite a lot of synovial damage resulting in the horse bing out of training for 8mths and never returning toprevious athletic standard. Its not worth the risk - get the medical stuff.
I think Activon is one of the bands of the medical grade stuff.

I am SO glad you posted this!! I have been seeing threads and hearing stuff about this for a while now and keep thinking to myself - ooo I'll get some I've seen it in the supermarket! - I didnt realise there was an actual medical grade I thought it was just a home remedy! :eek::eek:

Tnavas

Visit site
I am SO glad you posted this!! I have been seeing threads and hearing stuff about this for a while now and keep thinking to myself - ooo I'll get some I've seen it in the supermarket! - I didnt realise there was an actual medical grade I thought it was just a home remedy! :eek::eek:

Advertising it as medical grade is just a way to get even more money out of you.

HONEY IS STERILE! The Active Manuka Honey you buy from the supermarket is just the same as the so called medical grade.

2Conker

Visit site
Not sure if you can get them in UK - would be worth asking at garden centres - they are so pretty when in flower - the leaves are very tiny and its sort of evergreen. They come in white, cerise, red, pinks of all hues and two toned petals.

come the spring, will look into it: we're a bit short of bees over here though!! thanks.