Mare coming into season too often??

astewart13

Visit site
My mare is in season every two weeks and stays in season for at least a week. She seems to be in season more than she is out and while in season is a complete tart! Rubbing herself up against the walls and squealing, (her sides as well as her back end) and very keen for the boys. She is no different to ride when in or out of season that I have noticed. However she got very very distressed when travelling at the weekend and injured herself. This was on a smaller box than normal with a gelding while she was in season. Last cycle she was travelled in a bigger box with a gelding without a problem. Someone has suggested that the horse's cycles are not normal and she may have a problem. Physio has checked her over and while she has had a bit of normal muscle stiffness none of the pain has been behind the saddle where the ovaries are. Any one any experience of this or any ideas?

L&M

Visit site
Ask your vet - there are several options such as regumate, marbles etc.

In the Tack room there are several current posts running on mares and hormonal problems - would post a link but don't know how to!

PolarSkye

Visit site
My mare is in season every two weeks and stays in season for at least a week. She seems to be in season more than she is out and while in season is a complete tart! Rubbing herself up against the walls and squealing, (her sides as well as her back end) and very keen for the boys. She is no different to ride when in or out of season that I have noticed. However she got very very distressed when travelling at the weekend and injured herself. This was on a smaller box than normal with a gelding while she was in season. Last cycle she was travelled in a bigger box with a gelding without a problem. Someone has suggested that the horse's cycles are not normal and she may have a problem. Physio has checked her over and while she has had a bit of normal muscle stiffness none of the pain has been behind the saddle where the ovaries are. Any one any experience of this or any ideas?

Doesn't sound normal to me - and can't be fun for her. I would be talking to my vet.

P

natmac84

Visit site
i could be wrong here but i think as a rule of the thumb - every 4 weeks is acceptable for a mar to season.

i would perhaps have her blood tested as could be numerous of things causing her to keep coming in like that

whirlwindhorses

www.whirlwindhorses.co.uk
Mares have a 21 day cycle - that is they are in season for 6 days and out of season for 15 days. Well thats what the text books say, they can actually be in season anything from 1 to 16 days but are usually then out of season for two weeks. Most of my mares are in 4 - 7days.

Last edited:

sleepykitten

Visit site
My mare is a pain in the proverbial backside when she is in season. For this reason, in the past I have had a marble fitted. This kids them into thinking they are pregnant. Then they don't cycle. It gets taken out in the late autumn though. Made a hell of a difference to my mare. Your vet would be able to fit one. Alternatively you can get Regumate from your vet and feed it in feed. I've not tried that as it worked out more expensive than the marble but might be worth a shot if her behaviour is getting unreasonable?