Mare has gone hypo

tinpot

Visit site
As title says, I have taken on a mare for the first time as always having geldings no really used to them. i have had her for a couple of weeks and she has been the sweetest girl until a couple of days ago where she has become kind of nuts spinning mini rears etc all this is just being brought in for a bit of tlc. I have put it down to the time of year grass coming through, season etc. so im just wondering if there is anything, do, feed her to bring her back down to earth. helpful replies only required thanks in advance

Toffee44

Visit site
Spring grass

New home

New rider

Perhaps less work to what she gets normally?

Do some ground work and bond a bit

And give her time

Unless she's being fed different or anything high energy out it down to grass. My mare has started her lets spook at everything few weeks I put it down to grass she did it last year. Not normally that spooky.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It could well be the spring grass. What sort of grazing is she on? I restrict grazing at this time of year with electric fencing, and feed soaked hay in the field to give bulk, otherwise mine act like they have been knocking back blue smarties!

spot22

Visit site
Our mare has always been a bit stropy and ill tempered and we tried an number of calmers on her with no real improvement . We even had problems tying her up outside the stable as she would spook at nothing. A month ago we tried her on hoddson & dorrell placid natural calmer ,touch wood she has been calm as a mill pond , easy to handle , does not spook easily any more. I am hoping this has done the trick with her.

tinpot

Visit site
Our mare has always been a bit stropy and ill tempered and we tried an number of calmers on her with no real improvement . We even had problems tying her up outside the stable as she would spook at nothing. A month ago we tried her on hoddson & dorrell placid natural calmer ,touch wood she has been calm as a mill pond , easy to handle , does not spook easily any more. I am hoping this has done the trick with her.
that's what she has been doing broke away a couple of times while being tied up out side for no reason. will give it a go cheers

PollyP99

Visit site
Mines on NAF oestress and is very laid back after entering spooky season mode a couple of weeks ago.

Fides

Visit site
All of what has been said above but psst it's hyper not hypo (hypo is the exact opposite...)

maccachic

Visit site
High potassium I the grass.

Cut potassium containing feed
Plenty of fibre
Loads of salt (start with 10g per 100kg and have loose salt available adlib)

Should have a normal horse back soon enough

flaxen tail

Visit site
Try not to worry too much its probably the new surroundings. A new gelding that came in last year ripped a bit of wood out when he was first tied but is the most docile horse now, once she gets her bearings and settles should be alright.

aspirit

Visit site
mine did the same the other day , completely mad for no reason, then came in season ! She is on 'tranquil' , as completely mad when riding her and this helps.

tinpot

Visit site
OK OK typing error at least most people gave me helpful advice and thank you for that. as for the ones that just gave criticism hey ho i never claimed to be perfect that's why i posted on here should of known better as you always get someone trying to cause upset sad really

Fides

Visit site
OK OK typing error at least most people gave me helpful advice and thank you for that. as for the ones that just gave criticism hey ho i never claimed to be perfect that's why i posted on here should of known better as you always get someone trying to cause upset sad really

Just teasing and giving you a free bump!!

There is one on at the mo with truly dreadful spelling and grammar - that bad I couldn't read the full post...

Mares are funny souls - if you work out her cycle you can time your stuff around it so the days she is 'on' you could switch her days off to, or just hack. I find mares are like human women - sometimes totally irrational when cyclic ;)