Mare having Ovaries scanned tomorrow

Lou23

Visit site
Hi

We've had our pony for 12 weeks and she has been in and out of season since we got her. About 5 or 6 seasons. The last two she has been uncormfortable.
Her last season started when we were at camp last week and she became very sore, bucking and reared a little.

Have spoken to vet and decided we would like to get her scanned.

Please could anyone tell me what possibly could show up on the scan and any treatments as i have always had geldings.

I would like to be a little prepared for possible outcomes.

Thank you

Angua2

Visit site
My little mare is going through this at the mo too.

The vet will take some bloods and send them away for hormone level analysis
They will also have a feel of the ovaries.... they are looking for something that doesnt feel right... for example my girl has one that is larger than normal and the other they cant find!
then they will scan and look for abnormalities. I can't describe what will show up on the scan as I had to have my girls explained and I am still a little fuzzy on what I saw to what was described

We are still waiting for the blood results to come back before being referred to the royal vet college for possible surgery

hope this helps

arwenplusone

www.freewebs.com

Could be endometritis? Or a uterine infection.
Treatment for this is flushing out the uterus (some vets use a liquid parafin that stops any infection coming back) and/or some antibiotics. Had it done with my mare (same symptoms as yours) & my vet just used parafin - worked a treat.
The vet may even treat her with Regumate for a short time.

Alternatively she could have ovarian cysts which can be removed if necessary.
Good luck.