Mare in Foal

BlueberryPocket

Visit site
Hi there, i'm thinkking of putting my mare in foal this year for various different reasons. I'm looking for some general info? and what age you would consider being too old for a maiden mare?

Thanks
Gill

Magicmadge

Visit site
My mare is 17 now and due her first foal in the next 3 weeks. Caught first time natural covering but did have to have a jab of pg to get her in season. I don't think i would have left it any later, so it was now or never for me. Vet gave her the ok, so have your vet give her the go ahead no matter what her age really.

GranDel

Visit site
My maiden mare took second time with chilled semen at 16 and delivered a lovely filly at 17, a good friend's mare was 17 when covered (natural) and she is due to foal next month at 18.
I think if you have a healthy mare, choose stallion with a high fertility rate (ask for covering stats from last season) and use an experienced stud & vet then you have a good chance of a sucessful outcome.

Good Luck

BlueberryPocket

Visit site
Thanks for your comments.

So you would say that 11 isn't too old?

I'm kind of in the same boat as to know or never, I would like to start a family of my own soon(ish) and want Vienna to have a foal for loads of different reasons but definately before i have kids as i know foals need alot of attention (as does Vienna, my mare
wink.gif
) so wont have the time to give to it.

I'm very fortunate that a close family friend has a stud farm so i dont really have to worry about anything along those lines ie stallion, advice. However i do have the option of using frozen seaman, do you think there is i higher vertility rate using this method? I have narrowed it down to 2 stallion, one frozen and one not, just have to make my mind up
confused.gif