Mare in season clicking teeth...?

sydney02

Visit site
My mare is in season... She's a big flirt, winking and squirting every time she goes near a gelding (or mare actually) and nuzzling the geldings.
She's not been a problem to handle, only planted her feet a few times but nothing more difficult than that.

She's been doing this thing with her teeth, where she pulls her lips back just enough so you can see her teeth and she just clicks them together over and over again. Kinda like she's biting the air. But i've never seen this before.

Is it normal mare in season behaviour? Does anyone else's mare do it?

Follychoppins

Visit site
Hello Sydney 02. I have a mare who is new to me and as far as I am concerned any behaviour is normal :) I have done a lot of research into mares in season (my last mare was a chestnut, this one is a chestnut roan). The thing with her teeth is rather like the flehmen tasting the air. My mare is naturally anxious and being in season has not helped today. She was passed today whilst out hacking by the gelding from the next field. She turned to follow him and would not move towards our other pony even when he came to get her. I got off as it was the safest solution. She screeched all the way home. When I got back on I could feel her energy which was extremely high and unsettled however we got back in one piece so it was a good ride after all! Back to the point, there are many common things mares in season do. Hypersensitivity is perhaps the answer to your mares behaviour :)

JustKickOn

Visit site
Mine does this. It's foal like behaviour, being submissive towards the other horses. She also likes to hold soft material in her mouth. Poor girl has her first season of the year at the moment, she's really rather sensitive.