Mare in season , riding question ???

tubby1

Visit site
Hi there, I have an super laid back Dutch warmblood who I have had for about 8 weeks. This week she is in season big style , flirting , squirting, shouting, and just a little bit wired. This is her first time she has come into season when I have had her. My question is tonight when riding she just wasn't concentrating. She was tanking round like a big ginger giraffe. Do you ride your mares when they are obviously just not in the mood ? I probably should have just hacked her but it was too dark. Normally she is easy going & very willing and tonight it was a big fight. Which wasn't productive for either of us. Just wondered everyone's thoughts . Thanks in advance

kellypyart

Visit site
I ride my loan horse when she's in season as she'd be green as anything if I left her for a while! Is there any geldings near you that she's trying to attract the attention of? I'd steer clear of any when your riding to help her listen to you for a bit longer... If anything my mare is worse when hacking out because we have a lot of horses near us, instead I just do lots of transitions, circles, figures of eight... just stuff to keep her mind stimulated and listening, but again every horse is different!

Kat

Visit site
I don't change my routine at all for her seasons. She has to learn to knuckle down and work when asked. I don't take a day off work when I have PMS so neither does she!

ilvpippa

Visit site
Mine the same; very hardwork to be around & ride! I put her on a mare Tonic and very noticable that I didn't know when she was having them. Sometimes I find if your not at a show it's not worth the fight with them. Mine has painful seasons so give her the benefit of the doubt 80% of the time

NZJenny

Visit site
The last season of endurance I rode with Diva, she was in season for every ride, it was just the way it worked out. While not as bad as your girl, she gets moody when she is in. I just kept on trucking with her, but had to be a bit more mindful when around other horses.

And I got peed on when I was washing her tail. Ick.

blitznbobs

Visit site
My mare has short but dramatic seasons ... She is a serious diva and throws tantrums. But only for about 12 hours - I just let that day be a light day - I never look for a fight with a horse - they r bigger than me ... One day off every 6 weeks is hardly an issue for me but the row it would entail would put our progress back so I just don't bother...

Spring Feather

Visit site
Hi there, I have an super laid back Dutch warmblood who I have had for about 8 weeks. This week she is in season big style , flirting , squirting, shouting, and just a little bit wired. This is her first time she has come into season when I have had her.
Mares come into heat approximately every 20 days so if this truly is the first time in 8 weeks that your mare has come into heat, that would concern me. I suspect that's not the case though; she most likely has been cycling but you haven't noticed them. Perhaps this time she is in discomfort. I'm understanding with my mares when they're in heat and if they appear to be a bit uncomfortable then I don't do anything taxing with them; no problem to me to give them an easy ride of it.