mare kicking stable walls

Ted's mum

Visit site
whenever I feed my mare (cob) she kicks out at the walls thinking that she is kicking poor pony next door to her, (hard breezeblock brick walls) she is barefoot, but this has caused a capped hock!!!! :mad:
there is no way of stopping her!!
your thoughts please, could she be doing further damage, not to mention weakening the walls....:rolleyes:

BomBom

New User
Visit site
Can you not feed her outside her stable? And then put her away after?
Thats the only way I think you will stop her, I have no other idea on what you can do! Apart from putting Padding all round her stable!

aerodynamic

Visit site
Mirrors have really helped my mare as she is only 4 but highly bred and strung!

I have also used NAF Oestress which seems to have helped supress her hormonal mood swings...

horsecrazy25

College In the week, home on the weekends :)
Visit site
Is it possible to tie her up outside and feed her? as my friends mare kicked out at a horse in a field next to her caught wooden fence and caused a lot of damage to pedal bone if i remember rightly pedal bone came out through frog so couldn't walk on leg, friend thought she had broken leg at first as was just hanging there so she was on 6 months + on box rest then months in small paddock then slowly bring back in to work.

XxhorzezxX

Visit site
a person i know has a mare like yours and a great way to stop them hurting themselves is to hang rubber or carpet on the wall!:D

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I've got a BIG thug of a 5 year old gelding does this. He collapsed a relatively new concrete block wall in one block - so I moved him to another BIG stable with just a couple of weanling fillies next door. Bu**er kept it up - so tonight at feed time I went in there with Mr Blue Pipe and waited! EVERY time he went to kick the wall I put him up the back of the box - and he got a couple of good whacks in the process.

He settled down and finished his feed with no more kicking. I'll repeat the exercise at late night feeds and in the morning. Call me a horse beater - but I'm afraid there is a limit to how many stable walls I can AFFORD to replace!