Mare rolling in my presence, what does it mean?

elliejhb

Visit site
I've had my mare since April and I would say we're still building our bond. She can be quite narky with her stable but has improved over time with me going into the stable whilst she's in there. But this week every night she has got down and rolled whilst I've been in there, she loves a roll in a new bed but this is even before I've mucked her out.
I'm guessing she feels comfortable with me as a rolling position must be a vulnerable position for a horse but does it mean anything else? I've felt her and she hasn't felt too hot or too cold and hasn't been sweaty and not showing any signs of colic.

The-Bookworm

Visit site
Apart from wanting to roll at that moment, I might say bad manners.
I would think you have to stop what you are doing and be out of the way else you will get a hoof in your face.
A rolling horse puts you in a vulnerable position.

elliejhb

Visit site
Apart from wanting to roll at that moment, I might say bad manners.
I would think you have to stop what you are doing and be out of the way else you will get a hoof in your face.
A rolling horse puts you in a vulnerable position.

I've always been by the door so as she starts to show signs of wanting to roll I leave the stable, but if I wasn't I would distract her so that I have a chance to get out 😊

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love that mine stays in bed when I go to her, we sometimes have 'a moment' as in a cuddle before she has to get up. I see that as trust, but I do insist that when mum says get up, you do have to get up! I work in a school and although I factor in some cuddle time in our morning routine, I can't be late for work!

It is a steady routine worked out between us. Cuddle, fetch halter, fit halter, ask to get up, get half up, have a stretch and yawn, ask to get up again, get up, stretch, whistle, pee, ready to leave stable, stretch a back leg, leave stable.

She could be quicker I guess, but hey, it is 6am and dark, so that is our routine, agreed between us, and she does each stage as I ask so she is not learning any bad habits.

I would not be so happy if she started to roll before I left the stable when I brought her in. She has to lead in, turn round, soften her head towards me before I remove the halter. I then leave the stable.

I am quite strict with stable routines as if they start to overstep boundaries here it quickly leade to not tying up, not leading, not loading etc etc.

At 10pm I do skip out with no halter, she stands still while her hay is topped up, poop scooped, water topped up. She is corrected if she barges round the stable or tries to leave through the open door. She is pretty cool, but no, I would not allow her to roll while I was doing the chores.

She is a lovely horse, but I feel would soon learn to take liberties if she did not have to, for example, yield her head before releasing the halter buckle. That is one reason I don't let other people handle my horses as many people just take the halter off without making sure the 'feel' is soft before they do so.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Daughters mare cannot resist fresh shavings and loves rolling when she comes in from the field. She also lies down a lot and can be sat with for a cuddle. I think she is comfortable in our presence...my much younger mare lies down in her stable but has never rolled whilst I’ve been there. It depends on the horse I think.

scruffyponies

Visit site
One of my ponies rolls practically on your feet as you put him back in the field. He is totally trusting and comfortable in the presence of people, and hence has no physical boundaries.

Carrottom

Visit site
I've always been by the door so as she starts to show signs of wanting to roll I leave the stable, but if I wasn't I would distract her so that I have a chance to get out 😊
It sounds as if she might be training you. She doesn't like you being in the stable, she rolls ,you leave, she has a positive result. I would try to do something to break the cycle.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Are you mucking out after bringing her in? I would get that done first.

Apart from that, it is very bad manners for her to roll while you are in the stable, - don't allow it! Get everything ready for her to come into, lead into the stable turn her towards the door, take off the halter/headcollar as you stand by the door, leave and bolt door. Then she can do as she pleases!

elliejhb

Visit site
Carrottom, I did wonder that but she comes over quite calmly after and doesn't invade my personal space after- where as she has perfected the mare stare and opinions too the instruction manual 😂
Pearlsasinger- this is before a muck out so her bed isn't clean (she does love a roll in a new bed). When I lead her in she gets taken to the back of the stable, turned and made to wait. This almost a "oh hi mum you're here" then roll with happiness, she gives me plenty of warning as digs and circles before going down.
I'd rather she didn't roll in her stable as do worry about getting cast but there's no marks on the wall to indicate she does.

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
Mine normally waits until I've gone around the corner so I can't catch her messing up her lovely new shavings bed. She has been caught a couple of times and just looks so guilty :D

planete

Visit site
I am disinclined to read too much into such an instinctive action as rolling. Horses roll next to their friends in the field all the time. If you feel it is unsafe for you, stop her when she starts circling, say a firm no and walk out. I think she is just doing what comes naturally, whether you allow it or not is your decision.