Mare scanned as not in foal but still hasn't had a season since.

Calico1

Visit site
My lovely Connie mare went to stud late April and was covered every other day, 3 times in total. Vet scanned her at 30 days post and said she's not in foal but she's still not come back in season. Could she still be in foal? Phantom pregnancy?

Poppy+MrDarcy

Visit site
My lovely Connie mare went to stud late April and was covered every other day, 3 times in total. Vet scanned her at 30 days post and said she's not in foal but she's still not come back in season. Could she still be in foal? Phantom pregnancy?
I think she could if she is gaining wait, and acting a bit different i would put off riding until you know for sure, but on the other hand she might not be in foal, but I'd wait and see ?

EventingMum

Visit site
Scans can miss a pregnancy! I bought a mare in February who has turned out to be in foal. I managed to trace her history and was told the reason she was sold was that she was scanned not in foal, unfortunately for me she most definitely is!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
A friend had her horse scanned, not in foal. She was very disappointed. Decided to go on the holiday they had planned as now no foal to wait for. She got a phone call whilst on the way to the airport to say the mare had foaled. She had to wait a week yo see the foal!!

eggs

Visit site
My mare had three foals and for two of them she scanned not in foal (by a very experienced repro vet) at the first scan but then subsequently scanned as in foal. I would get another scan.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Back in 1973 one of my mares was blood tested not in foal and then a while later had a manual examination, also not in foal. Went to stud in the Spring, didn't come in season so they washed her out, still didn't come in so came home and I started riding her. I took her up to our local RC and did a little jumping round with her. Someone was looking at her after the round and asked if she was in foal. I had the vet out and he did a manual exam and lo and behold she was and quite close to foaling too. The resulting filly was with me for the next 29 years.

Cookvicky

New User
Visit site
Have you any updates?

Calico1

Visit site
Have you any updates?
Hi, I didn't have her rescanned as the vet said I'd be wasting my money and that it'd been a good scan. So I didn't and he was correct, sadly.
My mare didn't have another season until this year and he said that sometimes this just happens.

Cookvicky

New User
Visit site
I am sorry to hear that. I was searching posts as my mare was scanned at 15 days in foal and this morning at 36 day and the vet could not find anything vet said there was a follicle on one side that shows she may be coming back in to season but was not showing another sign that I have forgotten. Waiting for the stud to call me.