Mare straining and in pain during seasons

Lightning

Visit site
My 6 year old TB mare during her seasons is throwing herself at the stable wall. It is very odd her behaviour but she seems to be straining, then squirts and then hits her hindquarters against the wall a few times with her head hanging very low, then she might squat again and then settles. Its season related and she seems more uncomfortable than in major pain. I feel very useless. I have asked 2 vets for their opinion and they said there is nothing much that can be done really unless I want to go down expensive analysis routes.

Has anyone experienced anything like this with their mares or can suggest anything to do to help her.

THanks

katylee

Visit site
my mare did this when she was in season. she was so sore she would lean on the stable wall or fence until she bleed. she would lean on her hips or the top of her tail. have your vets done an internal exam or talked about putting her on regumate? or if you want a cheaper option have you tried any of the products you can buy over the counter for mares? we eneded up taking my mares ovaries out. long story.

Lightning

Visit site
They haven't done an internal as of yet. I have asked 2 seperate vets who have been out for other things for their opinion but she wasn't in season at the time and wasn't doing it. I managed to get a short video of her doing it last night to show our vets who I'm seeing tomorrow. Regumate was talked about but obviously this is going to be costly.
I did have her on some Feedmark product but this didn't seem to help. Do you have any other suggestions for products?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I have to say that if your mare is in that much discomfort - hang the expense.

Porcine regumate is around £50 a can. I can't remember if that's a months supply or more though.

Has she ever been put on any pain killers whilst she is in season????

fatpiggy

Visit site
Yep, my mare will do all of that. Also squeals and kicks the wall - she is in no way a kicker. Oh yes, and head presses too. Occasionally she gets it really bad and it looks like spasmodic colic. I had to have the vet out a couple of months ago to give her buscopan as she was so unhappy. Usually a walk about and a bite of grass does the trick. Typically, she got up off the floor 5 minutes before the vet arrived and was completely symptom free when he examined her! Ask your vet about having a marble inserted. It isn't expensive and is rather less hassle than feeding regumate as you have to be very careful with it yourself in case it affects your hormones.

sav

New User
Visit site
They place a glass marble directly into the uterus of the mare when shes in season- marble should be 5lb in weight and about 35mm in diameter- keeps them out of season most of the time and its much cheaper than regumate!!

hollyandivy123

Visit site
They place a glass marble directly into the uterus of the mare when shes in season- marble should be 5lb in weight and about 35mm in diameter

i think you got this a bit wrong as 5lb is 2 bags of sugar and 35 mm is just over an inch...............................in glass that would be against the laws of physics

sav

New User
Visit site
yup! I'm wrong on the weight of the marbles but they are def 35mm cos ordered them on the net the other day (5lb was the weight of the package of marbles doh!!)

jojo23

Visit site
We used marbles on our mare who wouldn't jump when in season. The marbles are inserted into the uterus can't remember if 2 or 3 incase one falls out, mare thinks she is in foal. Worked a treat on our mare. Only thing is we were told that as this is a new treatment they are not sure of the affect on the uterus so do not recommend if you intend to breed. Also recommend you remove in the winter. Would def recommend, rather than messing around with regumate if you can avoid it. They are removed with a small sedative using ultrasound to locate them.