Mare Was in Foal - TO WRONG STALLION

BaileyButton

Visit site
Dear All
The worst thing ever has happened!

I've been waiting since last October to put my mare in foal. This is the first time I've ever done anything like this, so as you can imagine I have been so excited.

I keep my horses on a stud farm, but decided not to use their stallions.

The mare is a friends, and I have had her on loan since last October. I spent last year looking at stallions, driving up and down the country.

Anyway, I took my mare yesterday for AI treatment. Only to find out that she was four weeks in foal.

After telling the vet she was mistaken - I finally realised she was telling the truth when she showed me on the screen.

I returned home, to find out that the owner of the stud farm had mistakenly pulled the wrong horse out of the field...4 weeks ago...and my mare had been covered instead!

I feel angry, sick, upset....I can't begin to tell you how horrific this is....

I wondered if anybody else had been in a similar situation (mind you, I doubt it).

millitiger

Visit site
you can get it aborted if you don't want the foal from the stallion she was put to... but i am not sure how far back that would put you with regards to breeding from her again this year.
i am sure someone with more experience will be able to tell you.

BaileyButton

Visit site
I had it aborted yesterday. The foal wouldn't have been what i wanted. I'm so annoyed. Got to take the mare back on thurs to be checked but they said they would try to get her in foal at the end of the month. But it may not work. I am so angry.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Of course you would be angry, but mistakes do happen it's a fact of life.
I would expect some compensation for the inconvenience/vet's fees and sheer stress value involved.
Talk to the stud owner, I'm sure they are as horrified as you and will want to make amends.

Enfys

Visit site
Huge oops! I hope she will catch again for you.

I also hope that you are giving all the expenses concerning this to your YO.

I bought my own stallion to use on my mares, that way I don't have to worry about whether they've used some youngster or a teaser on her, or that she'll come back skin and bones. I've never yet had a mare come back from stud in good condition, just bad luck I am sure.

Cliqmo

Visit site
Blimey I bet you were cross! What was the stallion she was in foal to and what stallion have you actually chosen?!
smile.gif

TangoCurly

Visit site
Your choice of stallion is superb, we had a gorgeous filly by him out of our riding pony mare last year. She has a fantasitc nature and moves beautifully and has really improved on her dam (who is also a very nice mare).

Diane and Michael at the stud will no doubt do the most they can to help get your mare in foal as they are fantasitc people to deal with.

All the best for getting everything sorted out.

alleycat

Visit site
Thats a bit scary... presumably your mare was not ready to be covered so was not swabbed etc. at the time; and will need to be swabbed etc again now, given that the stud's procedures are that lax. I trust you'll be compensated in full for this.

How did they get confused between a livery and a visiting mare?

BaileyButton

Visit site
Its without doubt is fantastic. Thats why i had to abort the other. I've spent a year looking at stallions. I just can't believe it. Keep thinking i'm going to wake up in a moment.

ajf

Visit site
Oh poor you. That really is a huge mistake on the studs part and I hope they compensate you for the inconvience/vet bills

ihatework

Visit site
What a c*ck up by your livery stud! That said mistakes do happen, the stud will have insurance you would hope (or will pay out of their pocket).
I'd expect to be compensated for all incurred vets bills and re-swabs maybe rounded up for goodwill. If for some reason your mare doesn't get in foal again you may need a rethink in terms of compensation.

What I am wondering though is if they have sent another mare home to owner saying it's covered!!! Or whether they realised their mistake but forgot to tell you ....

birchave0

Visit site
sorry to sound a bit thick
confused.gif

but was the mare in season when she went to be AI'd? If not why did you take her? Sorry I just thought I must be missing something here
confused.gif

crawls off before she gets shot.....

BaileyButton

Visit site
The mare had gone to the ai centre to be scanned. They were then going to give me a date for insemination.

The other mare that should have been covered is actually owned by the livery yard. (it gets better!)

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
The other mare that should have been covered is actually owned by the livery yard - Now that is bizare, how the hell did they not know their own mare!! No wonder you dont want to say who the stallion was as every mare owner thinking of going there would be doing a rethink! Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly for you now.