mare with bulging supraorbital fossa (dip above eye)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi, just after a bit of info really. My 4.5yo mare came in last night with the dip above her right eye bulging slightly- its much more apparent when she is eating. She is happy for me to prod it, doesnt seem bothered by it at all and is perfectly fine in herself.
She is due the dentist and he is already booked to come out, although due to my working hours not for a few weeks. It is slightly less swollen today but still noticeable. I know that filled fossae can be a symptom of metabolic issues but as this has come on so suddenly, is one sided and is in a young horse im thinking its more likely to be tooth/ trauma related? Does anyone have any experience of this at all?
Thanks in advance!

Jericho

Visit site
I was told by vet/farrier that if that dip bulges then as you say metabolic issues so possibly too much spring grass? Although that wouldnt explain just the one side. Maybe keep her on limited grass for a while to see if that has any effect?

EllieBeast

Visit site
She is currently still on her winter paddock with literally no grass. Only on hay and a totally fibre based feed. Not overweight, she is a Tbx and perfectly sound- no footiness/pulses/heat. No change at all to her management and like I said, it is one sided & has come up suddenly. Will see if it has reduced further by the morning and if not will have a chat with the vet. Cheers guys!

Last edited:

EllieBeast

Visit site
I suppose she could have been but it isnt sore for her at all? Its decreased again this morning. Not very noticeable now unless you knew it was there before. I will keep an eye on it I think.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I too had one with this one evening, seemed fine in himself, decided to re-assess in the morning and call vet if worried. Next morning was half size and horse was well, and the evening after was half again.......

Never recurred, no pain in manipulation of the area, horse was fine in every way.

I hope yours is as straightforward as mine!!!

McCauley

Visit site
Hope she keeps on recovering the right way! I wonder if it was something as simple as a little knock to that particular area perhaps??....and the swellng is now subsiding?

Just a thought. Good to be on the ball though when anything like this happens, especially near to the eyes! Well done you for noticing it.

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thankyou, it could easily have been, the field is quite rutted in places so if shes rolled could easily have knocked it slightly when rolling.
Haha, my two have had to get used to me poking and prodding them all over twice daily. They have both had near misses in the last year that needed veterinary intervention so I think ive become slightly obsessive...!!