mare with bulging supraorbital fossa (dip above eye)

EllieBeast

Visit site
Hi, just after a bit of info really. My 4.5yo mare came in last night with the dip above her right eye bulging slightly- its much more apparent when she is eating. She is happy for me to prod it, doesnt seem bothered by it at all and is perfectly fine in herself.*
She is due the dentist and he is already booked to come out, although due to my working hours not for a few weeks. It is slightly less swollen today but still noticeable. I know that filled fossae can be a symptom of metabolic issues but as this has come on so suddenly, is one sided and is in a young horse im thinking its more likely to be tooth/ trauma related? Does anyone have any experience of this at all?*
Thanks in advance!

applecart14

Visit site
Another unusual lump is caused by a prolapse (abnormal positioning) of the fat pad behind and around the eye. This can be alarming but is not always visible. When the horse lowers its head and blinks, the mass may look large and when it is standing and the eye is relaxed, it may disappear altogether. The chief feature of the early stages of this unusual condition is that it causes neither obvious discomfort nor inflammation.

Read more at http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/archives/eye-problems-lumps/#2A0PfU4RdgmQ6fBj.99

EllieBeast

Visit site
Thanks applecart, its no bigger when she lowers her head- more so when she is chewing. Which is why I think it may be connected to her teeth, will have a good read up though :)