Mare with constant swollen udder now expressing blood.

Spottyappy

Visit site
Thinking of you and Tessy.
Hope results are better than you dare hope, although without insurance I appreciate investigations maybe limited, but at the moment it doesn’t sound as if she is in any pain, or suffering in any way.
I know you’ll do your best for her, as you always have.

chaps89

Visit site
I remember when you first got Tessy, she's had a wonderful life since arriving with you. I'll be thinking of you when you get the results and hoping for the best.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Sorry to hear this I’ve followed Tessy and Dolly since eagerly awaiting Dolly’s birth on here years ago. I hope you get some good news xx

Zero00000

Visit site
Another who can remember when you got her, and waiting for Dolly to arrive.
Your all in my thought, hoping for good new

bearTessy

Visit site
Thank you everyone ,

I think the hardest thing to stomach at the moment is , she's so fit , she's going the best she ever has ! She's in work 6 days a week , is eating , weeing , drinking , pooing . I know her like the back of my hand , as we all know our own horses . And she's doing well .

Obviously a large part of the next move is dependant on these bloods and if it's something extremely serious she will have one last gallop round the farm and my wonderful friend who has been so supportive and is a vet nurse said she would hold her for me .

If they come back clear we will try and investigate as much as possible but sadly it is money dependant . We moved into our first home over Christmas and its not an easy time as far as money goes . My other half loves Tessy and would help as much as possible , but there's only so much you can expect someone to do .

She's 16 this year , I'm trying to be sensible and not selfish .

Doesn't make it any less painful

mytwofriends

Visit site
Gosh, just read the update. You sound a wonderful and selfless owner, and whatever the outcome you have your horse’s wellbeing at heart.

Chin up, and here are some hugs to help. X

BeingKate

Visit site
No pearls of wisdom I'm afraid but I just wanted to say wow, what a wonderful selfless owner you are and how lucky is Tessy to find you. Whatever the outcome is, I know you will do the right thing just from reading this post. Lots of love and masses of luck xxx

bearTessy

Visit site
Thanks all,

Still waiting for a phone call, feel so sick and nervous.

I'm 100% sure its Lymphoma cancer.

Despite this a small part of me is holding out hope....

Farcical1

Visit site
Fingers crossed you get a definitive diagnosis. At least then you can make decisions based on facts rather than “what ifs”.
I’ve no doubt you’ll do the best for your mare; sending you lots of moral support.

bearTessy

Visit site
It's not cancer ....

Bloods and sample came back clear .

Liver functioning 100%. As is heart .

We've been prescribed some steroids to help reduce the swelling and referred to Newmarket equine hospital .

I've also purchased some udder mint which reduced the swelling. Last night .

The mystery continues .....

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
It's not cancer ....

Bloods and sample came back clear .

Liver functioning 100%. As is heart .

We've been prescribed some steroids to help reduce the swelling and referred to Newmarket equine hospital .

I've also purchased some udder mint which reduced the swelling. Last night .

The mystery continues .....

Well that is good news!

It is also good news that she is feeling well in herself and eating.

Hopefully it will turn out to be a localised issue that is soon put right.

bearTessy

Visit site
Thanks all,

We've got a few routes and options to consider now.

I am happy with the result, if it was cancer all the doors were closed and without a doubt PTS was the only way forward. Which I would have felt terrible doing because she looks the best she's ever been !!

Our current vet isn't too sure what Newmarket will consider doing, I am going to give them a call and see what they say first. Also organise a payment plan, as like I mentioned earlier no insurance company has/will touch her with a barge pole .

The last vets excluded everything apart from death ! Even routine dental care that we paid for during that time but went on her vet records were excluded....

I don't think I have ever had a year with Tessy in which she's not had some form of medical issues ( 6 years!!).

It's a good job she is loved.

Annagain

Visit site
So pleased it's good news (or at least not bad news). If you have a good credit rating it might be worth applying for a 0% on purchases credit card with a good long time to pay off. I did this when we had a £2k bill for my boy's stay in horsepital. I have a savings account for emergencies but it made more financial sense to leave it where it was, earning a tiny bit of interest and to pay no interest on the credit card. I cut the card up as soon as I had paid for the treatment and set up a direct debit (£80 a month for 30 months) to have it paid off by the time the deal runs out. I don't miss the £80 a month and I still have my emergency fund. Money saving expert has lots of good advice on the best cards for your circumstances. Don't apply too soon though as it's often only purchases in the first two months that are valid for the 0% deal - check when it runs out and work out when to apply.

blodwyn1

Visit site
Over 25 yrs ago when my Welsh cob mare was a 4yr old she developed mastitis in one teat in her udder. She was a maiden mare so the vet was a bit baffled but she also had a clear liquid but then blood in it when milked. I was given antibiotics to go directly in to the teat as you would a cow(not easy) but it did eventually clear and she lived to 27. I found out that the field I was grazing had been used for the dairy cows resting with mastitis so maybe thats how she got it!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Commented on your Fb post, but am so pleased the outcome is better than you dared to hope.
As she seems well in herself, hopefully she will continue to be fine, but maybe worth bearing Blodwyns post above in mind too?

bearTessy

Visit site
Over 25 yrs ago when my Welsh cob mare was a 4yr old she developed mastitis in one teat in her udder. She was a maiden mare so the vet was a bit baffled but she also had a clear liquid but then blood in it when milked. I was given antibiotics to go directly in to the teat as you would a cow(not easy) but it did eventually clear and she lived to 27. I found out that the field I was grazing had been used for the dairy cows resting with mastitis so maybe thats how she got it!

Hi,

We have had two doses of this stuff syringed into the udder..... with no affect.

Our current vet thinks it 100% not an infection as such, as two doses of this would have kicked it's bum . She's also had oral antibiotics of two sorts , both strong for over 2 months at a time....

Thank you, pleasing to know your mare went to live to such a wonderful age.