Mare with mouth ulcers?

Beatrice5

Visit site
Hello,

I was watching my mare eating her haylage today and she was chewing it up for a while then spitting out it in a ball of chewed up matter. Then she would take some more and repeat the process she did this over and over again and I never saw her swallow any. I then gave her her ready grass and chaff with carrots dampened down and she wolfed it down eating easily and happily. She has been picking at the young holly today as we had the field harrowed a few days ago and the grass hasn't recovered yet. They have ad lib haylage and I haven't noticed her having any problems before today. She had her teeth done a month ago for the first time and was fine and the vet said they were really good with no problems just the usual rasping.

Can she possibly have mouth ulcers? She is heavily pregnant and getting to the full of foal and ot much room for much else stage if that makes any difference?

Many thanks
Amanda

kellyeaton

Visit site
Has she been eating glover at any point do you know that can cause mouth ulsers it could be the holly. The only other things i know of that can cause ulcsers is cushings and liver probs i dont want to worry u at all. a good thing for anything that is in the mouth is thyme!x

Lanky Loll

Visit site
We had a mare with mouth ulcers years ago - they were easily visible on the gums so have a look and see if you can see any.
Hers were stress induced and we found she was best kept out. Also she dug her own drinking hole at a natural spring in the field which seemed to help - we'd bought her from the Welsh coast so the mineral content in the water would have been different to what comes out of the tap here so we think this is what she was trying to rectify - she certainly seemed to improve when drinking from the natural spring any way.
With your mare being in foal if it is ulcers she could be lacking in some minerals due to the pregnancy?

Beatrice5

Visit site
Thank you for your replies. I will offer her a pot of Thyme and see if she wants ony.
I have been worried about her liver as she is weeing little and ofter and it's yellow and not clear. I know pregnancy puts great strain on the liver and kidneys and have just started damping her haylage and making her feed very wet to get more liquid into her. She seems happier eating wet haylage so I shall stick with it and keep a really close eye on her. I am also hand grazing her in our garden until the paddock pics up and with rain due thurs and friday I have everything crossed the grass may start to recover.