Mare won't load- dually headcollar a few questions

Visit site
Hi I was hoping for some advise. I'd love to get my mare out again with the bloodhounds but I can't load her to get her there.

Tried yesterday with 3 helpers, lunge lines, bridle and even the gentle waggling of a broom. Eventually got 4 feet on the trailer but wouldn't have been able to get her in entirely, she just plants:(

I've just ordered a dually headcollar and have watched the Monty roberts online tutorials they seems very sensible just need to be able to correctly apply them!

2 practical questions
1. Can anyone recommend a real person to help me in suffolk with a track record with loading using a dually
2. Dumb question, once loaded do you have to take the dually off and switch to a normal headcollar, plus I'd like to travel with the bridle on, can that fit over/under the dually? (Ok I'm getting a bit ahead of myself assuming I;ve got her in the box:eek:)

thanks!

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
If it is a Monty Roberts Dually, then there should be 2 rings, one on the actual dually bit, and one underneath for normal leading. And yes, in theory you could have the bridle underneathm but you will find it won't be as 'effective'.

You need to set aside a day to just practice. Get her one, give a treat, walk her off, walk her back on, treat, off and keep going until she is pretty much loading herself. Try the next day to check, and go from there.

However, this will really only have any real success if she isn't scared and is just being a bit stubborn. If she leaded before, and not now it might be worth looking into why.

spider

community.webshots.com
There is a ring at the back of the dually for tying up but I always swop headcollars when travelling as I don't like the rings either side dangling about. I suppose you could attach two lead ropes and tie both sides. A dually has to fit quite closely so it would be quite difficult to have a bridle on underneath.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I load with the dually and leave it on for travelling and tie up with static bottom ring. Having got him loaded I cannot then remove and change headcollars - I shut the ramp and go.
If you are feeling flush then Richard Maxwell is Suffolk based - he is excellent but expensive.