Mares.....Are they a one person horse?

Bug2007

Visit site
Ask the title says.....

Does your mare tend to be more of a one person horse than the geldings you know.

My mare really is a bit of a one person horse, owned by my mum but i do everything with her. She has a great bond with me.

My gelding used to be very one person, if I went on holiday he would stop eatting and get low, always had a cold or something when I got home. He is getting better as he is now part of a four horse family, and it's not just him.
Always been a bit of a funny one.

Laura1812

Visit site
I think that my mare is to ride - having said that, I broke her and have done everything with her so it could be just that we know each other inside out. She is very sensitive though and you can't tell her to do anything. My friend hacked her out with me once and they fought each other the whole way round and were both fuming by the end of the ride. She is as sweet as a nut for me.
She also will not go well for my trainer as again, she tries to make her do things rather than ask.

She has never been ridden by a man so that would be interesting to see.

LivingTheDream92

Visit site
my mare is happy for everyone to see her as long as they bring food. my rig is a one person horse, he got very hard to handle when i went on holiday and will test any new person until they are scared to handle him as well. he tests me but he knows i wont stand for it so he's better when handled often, but they do say that rigs/colts/stallions can have mareish tendencies and he definitely has

EMWSanctuaries

www.equinemarketwatch.org.uk
The little pure arab mare in at EMW-UK Herefordshire is definately that. She bonded immediately with my OH and that bond has remained since she arrived in November 2008. This mare will never leave the sanctuary as she is very aggressive towards women and is wary of other men. We hope in time she may mellow as she does tolerate me poo picking and will now allow me to feed her and our foot trimmers to do their work although she is easier with Dave Edwards of the hoofcare team. We know her history which probably lead to her extreme bonding pattern and it wasn't her fault, she is a product of human intervention without a doubt. She is stunning and very well bred but that doesn't matter. Her life could easily have gone a very different and tragic path.

Enfys

Visit site
I am on my third one person arabian, one was a gelding.

My big Paint tolerates most people but I am the only person she'll come to, the QH mare loves anyone, as does the Morgan.

I am not arrogant enough to believe that it is very much to do with me, just that I am the one that means food, scratches and outings.

Esperanza

New User
Visit site
My mare and my gelding are both definately 1 person horses which breaks my poor boyfriends heart. I have had both of them 9 years and I love them to bits. My mare loves having her tailed brushed and when in the paddock will walk up to me and push her bum in front of me so that I will brush her tail, politely of course. She will stand there for an hour in total bliss!

If I need her to stand still at any time I just say Tail and no matter what she is doing she will stop and let me brush her tail. She is sweet to my long suffering boyfriend who helps with them everyday when I am there, but as soon as I am aware there is no way that he can catch her or my gelding even with food.

She is a a polo pony and came to me as a 3 year old who had a tough start so I think that is why she is so loyal. I love that they are one person horses but it does make it difficult if I need to go away !But I wouldnt trade them for the world.

vhf

Visit site
Current mare seems to have clearly defined roles for everyone associated with her, and doesn't like it if people step into a different role. e.g. YO can feed, rug, lead, she hears his car coming and waits expectantly... but HATES it if he grooms her, not struck if he even touches her! YO wife is expected to deliver treats from plastic bag, and nothing else... I am mostly bodyguard and entertainments; though I feed/deal with her far more than they do. If I fail in my duties, I get ignored in favour of YO... My OH is carrots and drive-the-trailer!
Previous mare didn't give a monkeys who did what when or where so long as she was fed and comfortable.

posie_honey

Visit site
my mare is very loyal to me and calls etc - but really she'd like anyone who gave her a treat :rolleyes: she does however watch me like a hawk when i'm walking about at comps and trys to come with me (safer to keep her in box that tied up!) even if she's left with other folk - she def looks to me for comfort when worried etc.
in terms of riding - she used to be - but has had to get over that with ridden judges etc and now is mostly happy to be ridden by anyone so long as they ride in a way she likes - i often see her watching/looking for me though when she's being ridden by a judge

asterid

Visit site
My mare is very cuddly and will have cuddles and treats from anyone. Ridden wise, I dont really know as I have only ever ridden her. I am guessing though that as she is a TB she will not like just anyone riding her and definately is an ask me horse not a tell me.

My previous horse was a gelding Arab and he wasn't keen on anyone else riding him, he was an ask not tell horse too and if anyone forced him, he'd have them off! I found this funny as people always thought they knew best! :)

monkeybum13

Visit site
My mare isn't - she much prefers men over me! She flutters her eyelashes at the vet when her gives her injections etc. Anyone can go in the field and catch her, lead her, load her etc.

Most mare's I've know aren't - unless you pander to their every need and treat them like spoilt children, there's a horse at out yard who is very one person but that's because her owner goes ott with her.
I looked after her for a weekend and treated her like a horse, not a baby and she really chilled out and let everyone stroke her (she would normally snort like a dragon and back away).

cloudandmatrix

Visit site
my mare is very cuddly and loving, likes everyone :) but can play up sometimes if you dont know her-e.g. bargy!
my share pony has 2 mums now- her owner, and me. i am definatly second best, but i have a good relationship now :)
my welsh section a can be very naughty for people he doesnt know, you need to gain his trust, but anyone who feeds him is tolerated!

tontoandtigger

Visit site
oh dear ! i have the mare from hell she was bought by my husband before we met and i am THE OTHER WOMAN in her eyes. i can do the mucking out,the poo picking, the cleaning of cuts and general you know what shovelling:eek:but at all time i must know my place !!! yes you have it THE OTHER WOMAN and i am not to forget it. she once pinned me up against a wall in her stable for over an hour ( hind leg raised) before my husband made her move. she is a big girl 16.3 cleveland x so when she doesnt want to move she wont. its taken ten years for me to get a bit of respect from her .but she isnt just anyones . my other mare loves anyone and my gelding is generaly a suspicous chap but will go to either me or o h. i tend to think mares are more difficult than geldings.

millitiger

Visit site
out of my most recent 4 horses i have had two who would happily go off with anyone (a mare and a gelding) and two horses who are very much 'mine' (a mare and a gelding)

- so from that i would say gender doesn't come into it

Magicmadge

Visit site
When i first went to see my mare (the grey in my sig) with a view to buy, she was turned out in a group and i was told she would be hard to catch. She eyed me up but I got her straight away which suprised them. The girl there said she thought she was a one woman horse. I bought her. She was a bit difficult on the ground at first and a lively ride so i wouldn't let anybody else handle her in case she hurt them. Eight years later she is the most gentle soul, will do anything for me, listens to my every word, and is good for my daughter. However, can be funny with men my husband has had trouble catching her in the past and she sulks with the farrier.

Mavis Cluttergusset

Visit site
I had an ex racer (gelding) who was very much 'mine'. I always assumed it was because having been in all manner of training yards, he'd never really formed any sort of attachment to a person long term. He would get very jealous if I groomed another horse or even touched one in preference to him. Nobody really rode him other than me as he wasn't really that tempting to get on, having said that he never put a foot wrong for me and looked after me whilst I was expecting my baby, riding right up to the day before I had the baby. He came with a bit of a reputation for foul tempered behaviour but I never experienced that, however I never had him race fit so that could well be why!

My current mare likes me, but this could be because I provide food and grass and nobody else does - I also like to think she goes better for me but this is probably wishful thinking :)

rolls1392

Visit site
My mare is definately a one person horse.
If anyone else rides her, she either reluctantly moves or just plants and looks for me!!
Surprisingly she is not that clingy, but only wants me riding her.
Others can lead her and of course anyone else can feed her.

But riding and loading, its me or no one.
If another rider forces the issue she will buck, rear or just dump them!

I've owned her for 4yrs(shes now 9) and I have been her only regular rider.

Equestrian92

Visit site
I have a 2 year old filly and don't get me wrong she loves her mummy :D:D:D but she is well behaved for others when handling, I think it depends on the horse and their upbringing xx

LeneHorse

Visit site
mine just hates everyone most of the time, except when she is in season when she becomes fond of the farrier. She comes to me in the field but this is food oriented I'm sure. If there was a horse version of grumpy old women she'd be on it.