Mares - Describe mareish?

moneypit1

Visit site
Is your mare mareish? Typical question. So what denotes a "YES"? I am new to mares. I have recently 'gained' a 14 yo mare who has had two foals over a 5 year period and to my mind is mareish! She squeals, has recently come into season and is foul. No concentration, very vocal, 'winks' and ejects copious amounts of 'liquid' when the geldings get near her! Hideous. She also has a gross discharge alll down her hind legs that is like black glue. Is this what people mean when they say their mare is "Mareish"!

baymareb

Visit site
Welcome to mares! The other side of the coin though is that mares (in my experience which is limited) tend to bond more tightly to you and when they do, they will give you everything they've got and then a little more. They think, you have to work with them rather than tell them what to do, but when you do, you get a lot.

I've gotten so I love mares and I wouldn't trade mine for the best gelding in the universe.

tonitot

Visit site
I dont really know ... but when my mare is in season she doesnt really change in herself, but with the geldings she stands right in front of them and squirts, if they walk off she gets annoyed and proceeds to follow them until they stop and put her bum in their face again. She also gets all the disgusting stuff down her legs and it never wants to come off! She's a complete tart with other horses :p

Tormenta

Visit site
Opinionated :)

I have one mare who you would never notice is in season but she is very opinionated and the other is a flirt in season and opinionated too :) You know when a mare dislikes or disagrees with something!

However, I agree with the bonding, once that is in place they tend to be loyal and will try very hard for you.

Letslip

Visit site
Completely agree with baymareb, once you have bonded with a mare she will do anything for you and you can never bully a mare into anything it always has to come via agreement, so for me the advantages of mares always outweigh the disadvantages and would never dream of having anything but a mare!

Have known some mares who can be real squealers and very flirty at any time, my girl isn't a squealer but when in season as I said before can completely lose focus on what she is meant to be doing and just looking for boys to prance around in front of. She's not particularly dirty when in season although her last one she was quite a mucky young girl!

When she is not in season however she is the most delightful girl to be around and ride however once she is in when riding it's like siting on a rocket about to explode any moment and leading to and from the field can sometimes be a little hairy, due to her lack of concentration the slightest thing out of place on her way to the field becomes the latest thing trying to kill her!!!

BeckyX

Blue - lives at Arundel castle :D lushhhh,,, I liv
Visit site
HaHa !! :D my mare is a typical mare - she has 3 calmer's !! she is naturally wild (in the saddle) but when she come into season ohh boy does she go crazy, and squirts all over the place when a gelding is on sight (or the miniature Shetland stallion) !! i think most mares are just pretty hormonal tbh !

Achinghips

Visit site
Add:
ignore you and grow 3 whole hh when any other horse is near, nip you frequently, esp during ground work or when you try to get on, swish tail a lot, and act aggressively with the hay net, kick out at other horses when eating, wont come out of canter on lunge (and buck).

BobbyC

Visit site
I'd say that was the delights of her being in season, the delights of marish are a different thing all together, imagine a woman with really bad PMT, in horse form, only the PMT is constant, you probably know someone that is your mare in human form :D

BobbyC

Visit site
I'd say that was the delights of her being in season, the delights of marish are a different thing all together, imagine a woman with really bad PMT, in horse form, only the PMT is constant, you probably know someone that is your mare in human form :D

thinking about it you know, if I were a mare I would like to be a really bad tempered but brilliant one, it must be more fun :D:p

baymareb

Visit site
Add:
ignore you and grow 3 whole hh when any other horse is near, nip you frequently, esp during ground work or when you try to get on, swish tail a lot, and act aggressively with the hay net, kick out at other horses when eating, wont come out of canter on lunge (and buck).

Have you got my mare tucked away somewhere? lol You just described her to a tee - I particularly chuckled at the kicking out while eating. She does that alone in her stall - silly thing!

V1NN

Visit site
I have had 3mares but only one was particularly marish and well to sum her up she was an absolute bi**h!! but i completely loved her. Molly arab x connemara extremely talented capable little girl but just soooooo marish she would neigh to me and run down the field when she seen me, soon as i caught her ears back all the time 24/7 in season or not. Horror in the stable i was only one to go in with her she seemed to accept me lol. She would spin round and threaten to kick, make faces, squeal, threaten to bite, hated other horses eccept when in sason she loved them. However once out the stable you could pretty much do anything to her but she'd still have a sour face, fantastic jumping pony and one of my all time favourites :D

Allover

Visit site
People used to say to me that if i did not own my mare i would hate her, and they were probably right, she was very "special" (you know ears back threatening everyone, lurved to intimidate people!) and definately new i was her mum and she was my girl. Best horse i have ever come across and now the best broodmare in the whole wide world:D.

She also could not abide flouncy hysterical women!