Mares v's geldings?

Horses24-7

Visit site
Anyone got a preference?

Just realises I've only ever had geldings? (apart from the odd one I have bought to bring on and sell again)

So what are your thoughts? Does it make a difference?

Damnation

Visit site
Some people say they click with geldings. Others say mares.
I have owned 2 mares and had a gelding on loan.
I had a good bond with each of them.
When I go looking for a horse I don't look at breed/gender. I look for suitability.
Drives me MAD when people won't touch a horse because its (for example) a TB or its a mare so I don't want it!
Rant over :D

dressagecrazy

Visit site
I always believed myself to be a Gelding only person i currently have 4, but i bought my first Filly last year.
Yes she flirts with the boy's but other than that she's no different i dont treat her different at all.
We get on well which is something i didnt think i would do as im quite a hormonal mess anyway.

I have a particular OTT gelding here anyway & tbh he's way worse than any mare with his mood swings, he also has a knack of feeding off my mood.

I really dont believe now in Mare's v Geldings, i just believe in finding the right horse now i couldnt give a stuff about Mare/Gelding or Colour anymore.

Last edited:

Enfys

Visit site
Anyone got a preference?

Yes. At this precise moment in time, geldings are a pain in the butt :mad: and if they were mine and not paying guests then I'd haul the lot of them down to the nearest auctions :mad::mad:

My stallion is less trouble than the damned eunuchs.

Also, I have no use for geldings, I can't breed from them. ;)

Normally I don't care what gender or colour a horse is if it does the job I want it to do.

Last edited:

Montyforever

Visit site
I always used to think i was a gelding person until i got my mares, mares just seem to have somthing extra i dunno what, so i can put up with the mood swings :D:p

soxsmummy

Visit site
i prefer mares altho i have 3 mares and 4 geldings , i get on a lot better with the mare and they give u so much more, i think x

VioletStripe

Visit site
A good horse is a good horse, regardless of gender, or even breeding. Some mares can go a bit.. mareish? :p But equally, some geldings also have their sensitive and stroppy phases, and many mares aren't affected at all! On the whole I've gotten on better with geldings - 2 stroppy mares certainly don't make a right! :D xx

competitiondiva

Visit site
Always had mares, i now have a gelding (out of my mare) and can't help but think what if (lameness etc) especially when over the last year my mare has been fighting soundness issues, at least i can breed from her again if she doesn't come right, whereas what can you do with a broken gelding other than have it as a pet! Do all you gelding owners have loss of use on your insurance???