Market For Buying Horses In The Winter?

acorn92x

Visit site
I was speaking to my Mum today who is thinking about buying a horse come December/January time as is getting a payout from an ISA/savings account, along with saving up a little bit too. What is the horse market usually like around this time? She has had a break from riding since her last horse died 7 years ago (She had had her for 28 years and it was like losing one of her children) and she has now decided that now is the time for her to start riding again. She is only looking for a happy hacker and something to do low level (Prelim) local dressage on so no need for it to be a world beater and would consider something older (Or younger as my sister also rides and is very competent so could ride and help bring on alongside her instructor) as long as it's sensible (Hacking alone would be the absolute must here)!

Is buying in the winter potentially a good way to pick up a bargain? Success stories are welcome too :)

PorkChop

Visit site
A good horse will always command a good price no matter what the time of year.

If you are looking for a project type horse then you may well get a bargain, but I have found that these sorts are most likely sold from the field and out of work in the winter so you need to take a punt on them.

acorn92x

Visit site
Providing it had a relatively sensible history (Although you can never prove this from the field!), I think my Mum would be willing to take a gamble. She is experienced and has lots of help from my sister and a brilliant instructor (I live with my partner a 120 mile round trip away so I'm out of the question for regular help) so it wouldn't be too much of a problem. She'll have a reasonable budget and has said she wouldn't mind paying more and waiting to buy things like a saddle if it came without tack which is sensible imo!