Marking anniversary's :-(

Supertrooper

Visit site
A week on Saturday it will be three years since I lost my beautiful mare with laminitis :-( every year I've marked it by either giving money to a horse charity or laying flowers but this year I'd like to do something more permanant.

I've thought of getting a plaque for her but not sure where from? Or does anyone else have ideas??

Sheep

Visit site
Sounds a bit odd (maybe?) but maybe you could contact a horse place that has a lot of visitors and have a bench there with a plaque and a bit about her as a more permanent memorial? Then you could visit as you wanted, and all their visitors would see it. Just an idea.

Carys

Visit site
If you just want one for yourself try an engravers or key cutters - there is a national chain that do these as seen them in shop - pm me if you want to know name.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Depending how much you can afford why not sponsor a trophy at a local riding club, the kids especially love the perpetual trophies, you buy a new one, they have their name on it each year if they win and it gets passed on from year to year. You can donate a 'most improved member over the year' type and call it the 'name of your horse' memorial improvers trophy, or you could sponsor a class eg the open junior jumping and on trophy night they will refer to it as the 'name of your horse' open juniors. Your horse's name will appear in the middle along with the class name but kids will get to take it home and cherish their success each year.

Me and Lottie are going to sponsor our local kids working hunter classes when she goes. They have nice perpetuals but will need new ones eventually.

bluestar

Visit site
sorry to hear that :-( I planted a tree in a nearby woods a few years ago, when I lost my cat. It might sound silly, but it's so lovely to be able to go and see the tree growing and spend some time thinking of her. Best wishes x

Trish C

Visit site
The tree idea is lovely, as is giving to a charity - helping other horses :) Have you had a sketch/painting done of her at all, or anything like that?

So sorry it's a sad anniversary for you... just posted a happy anniversary thread, didn't see this first, really sorry if it seemed insensitive :(

Supertrooper

Visit site
Trish C - please don't worry, I'm not upset by your post at all, I like reading about your boy as he reminds me of our new boy!! Who is also a little on the special side ;-)

Thanks for ideas so far, I'll have a ponder on your suggestions. I'd love a portrait but can't afford one unfortunately :-(