Marlborough 3.5t GRP ????

elliemum

Visit site
Advice please if anyone has any!

Went to view a Marlborough horsebox and then contacted a couple of mechanics to try and get a check done on it. One of them said Marlboroughs are GRP and can rot badly. I have no idea what this means!

Can anyone shed any light?

Thanks

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
GRP is Glass Reinforced plastic and doesn't rot (that I know), if it used in the whole but it can also mean Glass reinforced plywood which is the GRP over plywood and can, if not looked after, rot in between the reinforced faces. The wooden GRP is heavy so affect payload, but seems to be used in the bulkhead by many manufacturer which in a 3.5t is where the majority of the stuff that encourages material fatigue and rot sits (wee and poo!).

elliemum

Visit site
GRP is Glass Reinforced plastic and doesn't rot (that I know), if it used in the whole but it can also mean Glass reinforced plywood which is the GRP over plywood and can, if not looked after, rot in between the reinforced faces. The wooden GRP is heavy so affect payload, but seems to be used in the bulkhead by many manufacturer which in a 3.5t is where the majority of the stuff that encourages material fatigue and rot sits (wee and poo!).

That's great. Thanks so much. Had googled, but couldn't get to the bottom of it!

kevd

Visit site
GRP is a fibreglass reinforced plywood panel. so will root if the coating is broken or untreated. look for swelling under windows as water makes it swell out .try goggling GRP DRY FREIGHT.
hope this helps

Louby

Visit site
Every horsebox Ive had has been made from GRP, I think its pretty standard?? Just check for any cracks, splits, or damage to the body of the horsebox. We learnt the hard way a good few years ago when buying a seemingly beautiful wagon. it had a small split near the living door, I didnt know any better at the time and we didnt know that because of this, water had got in the GRP and basically turned it to mush :( We had to have the whole side replaced as it must have been like that for years. Apart from the small split, to the eye it looked perfect. The guy who repaired it for us, walked along knocking on the side and you could hear the difference from the undamaged bits to the rotten bits.

elliemum

Visit site
Every horsebox Ive had has been made from GRP, I think its pretty standard?? Just check for any cracks, splits, or damage to the body of the horsebox. We learnt the hard way a good few years ago when buying a seemingly beautiful wagon. it had a small split near the living door, I didnt know any better at the time and we didnt know that because of this, water had got in the GRP and basically turned it to mush :( We had to have the whole side replaced as it must have been like that for years. Apart from the small split, to the eye it looked perfect. The guy who repaired it for us, walked along knocking on the side and you could hear the difference from the undamaged bits to the rotten bits.

Thanks Louby. Will be very thorough and take my glasses when shopping! Sorry to hear about your experience. So many things to look out for