Marmite!!

appylass

Visit site
I've read many times about people feeding marmite to sweet itch sufferers, mine doesn't have SI but is very itchy and I thought I'd give it a try this year. I'm just wondering how much you need to feed? I was hoping to give it on a piece of bread as he won't be having a feed through the summer but would I be giving him enough?

Thank you!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
We use to feed it to our old cob as he had a lot of feather and could get a bit itchy. He use to get a good sized teaspoon in his tea every night. It really did work.

appylass

Visit site
Excellent, thank you very much, I should be able to get that onto a piece of bread. I was just starting to wonder if they needed half a jar or something!!!

c2b

Visit site
I have a very itchy horse whether it's si or not is debateable. .
2 years ago I fed garlic with no improvements whatsoever.
Last year I tried marmite and horse was def less itchy than the year before.
This year we are trying brewers yeast which is what marmite is made from so we shall see. It's working out more expensive than marmite but less messy. I will have to continue to give a big pinch of chaff all summer as it's a powder.
I don't feed in the summer usually so would scoop up a bit of marmite on the end of a carrot and feed that to mine. About the same amount I would have put in a sandwich.
Of course it could all be coincidence and there could be a million other reasons mine was less itchy last year, but we do go on trying anything, however bizarre don't we?

ru-fi-do

Visit site
I havr got a sweet itch sufferer but haven't tried marmite yet. We have got him on Brewers yeast as this did seem to help last year but we only started it halfway through the year, we have now fed him it all winter and will soon be starting to up the dose. I did manage to get the tablet form from Gold label but before just used to use the human ones from the healthstore.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Brewers yeast is better than marmite - its the same product, but brewers yeast is a lot easier to sprinkle into their feed to give a regular dose IMHO

sherbet

Visit site
Started feeding one slice of bread with Marmite in morning feed. If he is feed before I get to yard he will eat it like a treat from my hand.
Had hoged my boy as had no mane, now have a mane and tail- yippeeeee

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Well we used to feed our horses each a marmite sandwich every morning, worked a treat
smile.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I feed brewers yeast - easier and far cheaper. My TB, Miss Delia never forgave me for giving her a bite of my marmite sarnie - she spat and glared for ages - guess she was a hate it rather than love it type.

appylass

Visit site
Thank you all, sounds like I have to give it a try! Does it take a while to get into their system, should I start it now or wait til it warms up a bit?