Massage mitts - are they a gimmick and if not what kind to get?

jkitten

Visit site
I love the idea of massaging my horse, but having just been burned on the LeMieux curry comb which looked and felt great in the shop but turned out to be useless in practice, I am hesitating to get one. Does anybody use them and if so what kind? The ones with the rolling balls or the ones with the rubber tines? For a horse with a dense coat who has a tendency towards stiffness.

Palindrome

Visit site
I really like the one the ones with rubber tines and my horses seem to enjoy them but I use them for grooming. I don't think it would do anything in terms of massaging the muscles against stiffness as it only rubs the hairs/skin.
For massage techniques, may be you could look up Equine TTouch or Masterson?

stangs

Visit site
I'm no pro so don't take this as medical advice, but for many centuries - and to this day, in certain areas - horses were groomed only by hand to help improve blood flow and hence the sheen of the coat. Personally, I still do it as it helps me feel the muscles better, and, over areas liable to be sensitive, I can feel exactly how gentle/strong I'm being.

What I tend to do is work down the muscles along the crest, starting with just a long stroke (minimal pressure), then building up pressure, and also moving down the muscles on either side of the spine. It's hard to advise on as it's such a feel thing, so I'd recommend practicing on people (or getting people to practice on you) and seeing what feels nice. And, again, it's not proper massage, but I've had some positive 'reviews' from horses, and it also gives you some minutes to spend doing nothing but feeling the condition of the horse, and finding any sore spots. Equally well, pretend that your hand is a brush and use it as you would if you were holding a rubber curry comb.

Do also recommend the Masterson's Method, although I only use bits and pieces of it.

ETA: when in doubt, just try it out! Horses are usually pretty clear about how they feel about being touched, and, if you're not sure, you can 'ask for consent'. Basically, go over a spot for a 5 seconds, then move hands away - I find a lot of horses with turn their heads towards me as if to say "that was all?" at which point I continue.

jkitten

Visit site
Thank you for that description Stangs, I will give it a go!

Might buy one of the ball mitts anyway though, they just look so satisfying and I just realised that using balls on myself actually helps a lot in certain areas. Can always keep it for myself if horse doesn't like it! ?

Follysmum

Visit site
I have the equilibrium pad and mitt and use them regularly. The mitt is useful getting into the neck muscles. I have recently purchased a equi release gun my friend is a mctimoney / massage therapist and has given me tips and training.

Lyle

Visit site
You can do a lot with a tennis ball, long strokes with pressure (build up obviously)

I attended a seminar with Dr Kerry Ridgeway, and he basically said for the home horse owner, a tennis ball will do wonders (and if you're sensible, should do no harm!)

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I really rate the Equilibrium massage pads too. The extra long ones were't available when I bought mine, but if buying again I'd go for one of those with a larger horse like my IDx who, although only 16.1hh, wears 6'9" rugs.

Can anyone help me out? Years ago I bought a really good non electrical hand held massage roller gadget from a stand at YHL. It came in black or white plastic, and had a handle and about a dozen or so hinged balls which you ran over your or your horses's back. I've long lost it, but can't think what it was called in order to search for another.

humblepie

Visit site
I have an Equilibrium massage pad which I used quite a bit on previous horse but quite a few of the vibrating bits are broken so not using it now. Have the massage mitt which must admit not really used much at all though quite useful to take to away shows for a bit of TLC as small to transport. I did a one day equine massage course so do some of that and also have one of the little plastic glove things with balls on - use that and a rubber curry comb.

p.s. jkitten - your horse/pony is absolute gorgeous. What a lovely photo.

Foxaunt

Visit site
Agree the equilibrium mitts are a waste of money, i had thermal imaging done on mine and he advised where the tension would be and showed me the areas to work on based off of the thermal imaging.

Expensive but glad i did it, and even he agreed that if you want to get a massage “gun” on a slow, low intensity setting, with a wide, soft contact ball, you can get them from amazon for £30, works so much better i can feel (my mare especially) repositioning herself and leaning into it.

That, coupled with stretches from the vet physio, finally cracked her stiffness she had for ages! Disclaimer: 100% not an expert or professional.

spiketwinkle

New User
Visit site
I have an Equilibrium massage pad which I used quite a bit on previous horse but quite a few of the vibrating bits are broken so not using it now. Have the massage mitt which must admit not really used much at all though quite useful to take to away shows for a bit of TLC as small to transport. I did a one day equine massage course so do some of that and also have one of the little plastic glove things with balls on - use that and a rubber curry comb.

p.s. jkitten - your horse/pony is absolute gorgeous. What a lovely photo.

Equilibrium are really helpful about repairs and replacement parts. Might be worth contacting them.

cariad

Visit site
Many years ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, we had "grooming" and "strapping" and made our own wisps from straw to bring the shine up. Haven't heard the word strapping for years, possibly decades and i'm sure there are no longer Pony Club/riding school competitions for the neatest wisp. They do look a bit like large insects: 1654023775858.png

Visit site
Many years ago when dinosaurs walked the earth, we had "grooming" and "strapping" and made our own wisps from straw to bring the shine up. Haven't heard the word strapping for years, possibly decades and i'm sure there are no longer Pony Club/riding school competitions for the neatest wisp. They do look a bit like large insects: View attachment 93551

I've never made a wisp but I do have a strapping pad and do use every so often.

Wizpop

Visit site
Well, it’s good to know that Equilibrium seem to have upped their game re repairs. I had no joy a few years ago when mine stopped working (owned for about 2 years at that point). They could only suggest buying another! Which I didn’t. Took it to a local electronics repair shop and they did a great job repairing it thank goodness! But good to know you can now get the support from Equilibrium ?

throwawayaccount

Visit site
i've been considering getting one of the mitts, but unsure whether its worth it really! my gelding has a combination of physio, bodywork and chiro to keep him tip top.

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Mine have a soft rubbery glove with soft pimples. They love it! They all have their favourite areas to be scratched and are quite specific about it!!! It's great for removing dead hairs and dry mud too.

humblepie

Visit site
Well, it’s good to know that Equilibrium seem to have upped their game re repairs. I had no joy a few years ago when mine stopped working (owned for about 2 years at that point). They could only suggest buying another! Which I didn’t. Took it to a local electronics repair shop and they did a great job repairing it thank goodness! But good to know you can now get the support from Equilibrium ?

Definitely changed. A clever electrical chap repaired a friend's one and we did look to repair mine ourselves but struggled to get the right sized bits for the repair so in the end sent it off. Service was excellent.