Massage or Heat pad

millmo

Visit site
Hi, looking at either a heat pad or a massage pad for my daughters horse to be used before he's ridden and was wondering what peoples views are on them and which they prefer before we spend the money.
Thanks in advance.

scats

Visit site
I use an epiony heat pad. I really noticed a difference when warming my mare up in the winter after having it on, she was much more relaxed through her back.
I use it most days for about twenty minutes before I tack up. She loves it. Even my other sensitive mare likes it, and she’s very odd about things like that normally.

Littlebear

Visit site
I love the equilibrium massage pad, I use it before and after riding and it definitely makes a difference x

Kaylum

Visit site
Have you looked into why he gets tense ridden and being tacked up? Had his saddle checked, back etc?

npage123

Visit site
I bought the Equilibrium massage pad at a discount on Black Friday - I think it was reduced from £120 to £80.
I'm using it on my semi-retired TB and it helps so much with increased blood supply that when touching the muscle groups which I've just done, I can actually feel the heat coming from his body. And I've used it on the coldest days this winter.

I'm no expert but I'd say if you can generate that much heat with the Equilibrium massage pad, it does massaging and heating so it's a better product that just a heat pad.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I've seen the equilibrium pads work quite well on a couple of horses in a similar situ.

Have you tried a back on track rug? Works wonders for my mare.
I have Equilibrium pads and the Back on Track mesh rugs, they work well both individually and together. The horses love them both and noticeabley relax with them.

npage123, at those prices you must be referring to the hand held Equilibrium massage mitt, which is also good but it can't be plonked on the horse's back while you get on with other jobs and left to run for 30 mins like the pad can :).

This is my creaky mare enjoying her pre work warm up session with the pad and her Back on Track hock boots, though this time she has her turnout rug on, not the BoT mesh rug.

image.jpeg

npage123

Visit site
I have Equilibrium pads and the Back on Track mesh rugs, they work well both individually and together. The horses love them both and noticeabley relax with them.

npage123, at those prices you must be referring to the hand held Equilibrium massage mitt, which is also good but it can't be plonked on the horse's back while you get on with other jobs and left to run for 30 mins like the pad can :).

This is my creaky mare enjoying her pre work warm up session with the pad and her Back on Track hock boots, though this time she has her turnout rug on, not the BoT mesh rug.

View attachment 32234

Yes sorry, I should have clarified - I was referring to the handheld massage pad. If I win the lottery, I'll get an Equissage back pad.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Mine have always loved the Equlibrium massage pad. I love that you can sling a rug on top, so they get warm too. The massage means funny noses and droopy lips from enjoyment and relaxation.

Charlie Horse tried to get it out himself once, and made a nest with it and one of the massagers broke. I tried a more expensive type of massager and it was not half as nice so I re-sold it and bought another Equilibrium.

Reactions: TPO

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Yes sorry, I should have clarified - I was referring to the handheld massage pad. If I win the lottery, I'll get an Equissage back pad.

It was an Equissage that I tried instead of an Equlibrium one. It was an older one, but in working order but the horse was not half as impressed. It may be better for an actual injury, but I was just using it for relaxation and at that it was not as good. I sold it again.

Reactions: TPO

The-Bookworm

Visit site
I use an epiony heat pad. I really noticed a difference when warming my mare up in the winter after having it on, she was much more relaxed through her back.
I use it most days for about twenty minutes before I tack up. She loves it. Even my other sensitive mare likes it, and she’s very odd about things like that normally.
I have one of these and never used it.
Thinking of selling it on.

Ceriann

Visit site
My mare hated hers though post selling it I’m now considering ulcers! She disliked everything about it!

Maesto's Girl

Visit site
I just bought the back massage pad for my mare after trialing it. She was totally different after just 1 treatment so now I use both before and after a training session. Not cheap at all but worth it in my opinion

oldie48

Visit site
Yes, I had a go yesterday, I used a saddle cover and some big safety pins and got something I could put on Rose's back. It worked fine but was a bit fiddly tbh. In the winter when it was very cold I have taken a hot water bottle out to the stables and wrapped the saddle pad in it to get it nice and warm before tacking up. Not quite the same thing but much appreciated by the horse.

Potea

Visit site
Yes, I had a go yesterday, I used a saddle cover and some big safety pins and got something I could put on Rose's back. It worked fine but was a bit fiddly tbh. In the winter when it was very cold I have taken a hot water bottle out to the stables and wrapped the saddle pad in it to get it nice and warm before tacking up. Not quite the same thing but much appreciated by the horse.

Thanks, that's jolly helpful. I shall attempt to recreate something similiar!

Leo Walker

Visit site
Yup, Rob Jackson treated mine and recommended I use one. It was SI area so I just rested one on his ample bottom!

Ido have one of the back on track back warmer pads that I used when I worked him and it did seem to help. Its now languishing in my spare room if anyone needs one!

oldie48

Visit site
Yup, Rob Jackson treated mine and recommended I use one. It was SI area so I just rested one on his ample bottom!

Ido have one of the back on track back warmer pads that I used when I worked him and it did seem to help. Its now languishing in my spare room if anyone needs one!
yes I am looking to buy something for Rose, I'll pm you.

TPO

Visit site
I used two hot water bottles so they sat either side of her spine but you probably guessed that!

I could never figure out how to fashion hot water bottles but did use one in a fleece cover under a rug. However my horse physio had a client who fashioned something using 2 hot water bottles in fleece covers and sewed on Velcro. She could then use Velcro straps to widen or narrow the "gap" over the spine and have a bottle on each side of the quarters.

I'm so useless at describing things so I'll try to find a picture.

I rate the equilibrium massage pads. Like Red-1 I briefly had an equissage but quickly sold it on to get another equilibrium pad. I have a Masta protech rug too which is similar to BoT and use that for travelling.

ETA photos

Ok couldn't figure that out so will do a new post

Last edited: