Massage pad or heat pad?

B.F.G

Visit site
Looking for people's opinions on both the equilibrium massage pads and the heat pads you can get? I've used the massage pad before and couldn't really notice a big difference but a physio said recently to just use some heat on his tight muscles as and when. I can just use a hot water bottle (held by myself) if the head pad is nothing special!
What do people use?

B.F.G

Visit site
Yes that's the brand I was thinking of, epiony. Does it only work over the back (saddle area) or could it work over the hind quarters too?
Using pillow cases for hot water bottles is a great idea. Lucky for me we have a kettle at the yard but also a very hot tap so can use water bottles.

rextherobber

Visit site
I have the equilibrium massage pad, it makes a big difference to my horse, the massage increases the blood flow to the area so would have the same affect ( or do I mean effect?!) as heat, in that the blood capillaries enlarge. I think that's how the physio explained it to me....the pad is convenient , not sure how you could fix hotwater bottles safely/ in a non scary way, for my over imaginative idiot, and I would worry about getting the water temperature hot enough to do the job without scalding the horse, but I'm not a very practical person!

scats

Visit site
Yes that's the brand I was thinking of, epiony. Does it only work over the back (saddle area) or could it work over the hind quarters too?
Using pillow cases for hot water bottles is a great idea. Lucky for me we have a kettle at the yard but also a very hot tap so can use water bottles.

You can put it anywhere basically, but you’d have to secure it (it comes with a surcingle to go round belly but also a neoprene wrap for using it around neck of even on yourself.
I pop it where the saddle will go while I groom, then when I tack up, I undo it and slide it back onto her quarters while I potter about getting my hat and booting up etc. Stays in place but Millie doesn’t really move as she loves it.

I used to use hot water bottles but it was a lot of faffing about and I worried about the heat. The Epiony has various settings which I use depending on weather conditions etc.

Bubblewrap

Visit site
I have the Epiony, bought one as I got fed up fiddling around filling hot water bottles. What I love about it is you can pretty much strap it anywhere, I it use on neck, shoulder and back area. Also used on humans! Horse physio recommended it and I've been very pleased with it.

Louby

Visit site
Ive had both and sold both. Used the Epiony once, horse hated the surcingle around her loin area so went back to good old hot water bottles, tie 2 together with bailing twine, much cheaper and IMO and physio's as effective. I think the massage pad is a lovely luxury but tbh cant see how much it can achieve as in comparison to a human, it must be barely a tickle, having tried it myself :)