Massive day for me today!!! First time Hunter Trialing in 15 yrs

showpony

Visit site
So to give a quick run down for those who are not familiar with me..... I fractured my neck years ago & gave up riding for 12+ yrs..... roll on last year & bought a fantastic 4 yo who has taught me so much..... however she is a total powerhouse when it comes to jumping so for the moment Ive handed the jumping reins over to a super experienced rider!!!!
So today had the pleasure of enjoying being an owner from the ground lol & WOW my mare did the novice course ( first time out at an XC style show ) ....... was so so so proud.... she bloody well looked like a schoolmaster lol.... no tanking , cat leaps etc.... rider just rode her so sympathetically & they would have gone clear BUT my mare jumped HUGE out over a ditch & was a tight line to next fence & they had to deal with a bloody nappy horse who had taken a lead off them & then napped again as had tanked off on front of my mare so they had to circle & do fence again.... grrrrrrrr.

Anyhow onto me - the rider with MASSIVE Jumping fears lol... bought my new boy couple wks ago.... 8yrs old, loves to jump! ( have done things backwards lol....... got the youngster then got the schoolmaster lol )
I have only had him for a couple of weeks & until last week had yet to jump him in an open field!!!!! roll on prep this week & first session did NOT go well, I ended up in tears & dismounted feeling I just couldnt get a grip on my nerves....... Problem was I was riding behind someone & I just did NOT feel I had brakes & at my age with two young children brakes are a necessity!!!!!

Roll on session 2 days ago..... got my brave pants on!!! & just kicked on & went for it... my instructor noticed a HUGE improvement....

So today we started with pairs in the Hunter Trials - biggest fence 80 cms & it was a total DISASTER!!!!!! I was tense, which caused Ponio to spook, nap & refuse a multitue of fences............ NOT good especially I am NOT the most confident rider.... so entered the singles.....

Just went for it.... he is naturally " Looky " & just kicked on and gave him a good talking to when I felt him back off...... 20 fences, we were clear over 18 of them... One I could not for life nor money get him over as the fence we were meant to jump was beside the Open fence of massive blue barrels with pictures of deers lol and he just wouldn't look at fence we were meant to be jumping lol......... there was a downhill trio of pretty meaty ( for me ) Log fences & 3rd had to be jumped at an angle, sharp left after first two.... unfortunatly I was galloping past the headlands at this stage so had to circle back....... got over it & kicked for home!!!!

Crap on paper but for ME a massive confidence achievement...... couple of pics below CC Welcome but not harsh lol.... this time last week if someone had asked me to jump 20 XC jumps would have told them where to go lol.....

ht1_zpse2ef545c.jpg

Bear in mind he refused this one point blank in the pairs & jumped from a standstill which resulted in me getting whacked in the nose lol.

ht2_zpsaf950c79.jpg

second last fence
ht3_zps59acfd05.jpg

Last edited:

Fools Motto

Visit site
Very well done! Love your horse, can't beat a dun!! Bet you will get a drawer of brave pants now and then go onwards from here then.

showpony

Visit site
Last wk i would have jumped 3 .

. Lol QUOTE=Fools Motto;12062945]Very well done! Love your horse, can't beat a dun!! Bet you will get a drawer of brave pants now and then go onwards from here then.[/QUOTE]

Kenzo

Visit site
We'll done, no doubt the first of many more to come.

He's a pretty boy so you do really need to get out there and show him off!

_jac_

Visit site
Well done :) my daughter has her first hunter trial in a few weeks and is starting to get very nervous.

I don't have any brave pants so will stick to hacking !

MiniMilton

Visit site
Well done! The first HT after such a long time off is always going to be the hardest on your nerves. A few more HT's under your belt and you won't even remember that you were ever nervous.

I love your horse! I could do with a schoolmaster to help with my confidence issues. Well done again

lurcherlu

Visit site
I know what you mean by young horses giving confidence, after a cup,e of years being the human cannon ball at the yard I worked on trying new ponies for boss' daughter etc and schooling nasty horses , breaking my 3 year old in myself was just so good, she is a brilliant, calm baby and I feel like we could jump the moon together :) well done you, having two young children as well makes everything so much scarier

Lambkins

Visit site
Well done !! Just think what u will be up to in a years time !!! ;) it is so hard to just let go and ride on .. But u did it .. Now you have the first block to build from .. ( which is always the hardest ) so onwards and upwards ;)

paddi22

Visit site
i was there on sat and noticed you- lovely horse. was a great day and cracking course and weather.

i'm heading to anna harvey too on the 6th, we are staying the night before and after to make a weekend of it. a hho meet up would be deadly!

albeg

Visit site
i was there on sat and noticed you- lovely horse. was a great day and cracking course and weather.

i'm heading to anna harvey too on the 6th, we are staying the night before and after to make a weekend of it. a hho meet up would be deadly!

Ooh, very nice! It's great to be able to put faces to names, I'll put something up later in the Irish section and see who's going. :)