Mast cell tumour advice please

lovingponies

Visit site
Hi
Sorry in advance for the long post but any help would be appreciated. My beautiful Tilly dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour last week, I am also awaiting test results on two further lumps found. She is 10 years old and we have had her for four years, she came to us from a breeder who wanted to rehome her after having had four litters, the last one being a Caesarian. I have a consultation with vet this afternoon and want to book the surgery. I have questions coming out of my ears but could anyone advise o the main things to ask and to make sure I get sorted please?

This is what I have in my head so far:
Medications that have been mentioned by people: prednisone, benedryl, Pepcid, Omeprazole, Famodatine, Palladia, IP6 InosiSurgery things that I’ve heard mentioned: Margins, ct scan, ultrasound, biopsies. Do I need to ask vet to do scans or ultrasounds whilst she is under for surgery? Or do tests on lymph nodes, liver or spleen then too?

After surgery or before: grading, staging, chemo, radiotherapy.

Diet: many different opinions on this. Tilly is on Caesar as it is all she will eat. No negatives about why she is on it please as it’s her choice not ours at the moment.

Sorry, for the long post, I’m new to all of this and very emotional as I only lost my beloved pony at the end of last year and my beautiful dog has been helping me through it....

Thank you
Pennie

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm not sure this will help you, although it is a positive outcome, so far.
We took one of our Rottweilers with a lump on her side. Vet wasn't sure what it was and advised removal. Booked her in for a week later. In the meantime another lump came up on her elbow, we asked for both to be removed at the same time. Vet sent both lumps for testing. Original one was fine, elbow one was indeed a mast cell tumour.

She had to go back several times because the elbow wound kept breaking open - she is a very active dog! She had extra anti-biotics and steroid cream to aid healing. Vet, who knows us very well, did not suggest scans etc. He did say that the test results suggested that it wasn't the most likely to return/spread. I think there are 3 levels of probability. 2 years later, she appears to be absolutely fine.

ETA, I should have said that she is now 6

Last edited:

paisley

Visit site
Hi
Sorry in advance for the long post but any help would be appreciated. My beautiful Tilly dog was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour last week, I am also awaiting test results on two further lumps found. She is 10 years old and we have had her for four years, she came to us from a breeder who wanted to rehome her after having had four litters, the last one being a Caesarian. I have a consultation with vet this afternoon and want to book the surgery. I have questions coming out of my ears but could anyone advise o the main things to ask and to make sure I get sorted please?

This is what I have in my head so far:
Medications that have been mentioned by people: prednisone, benedryl, Pepcid, Omeprazole, Famodatine, Palladia, IP6 InosiSurgery things that I’ve heard mentioned: Margins, ct scan, ultrasound, biopsies. Do I need to ask vet to do scans or ultrasounds whilst she is under for surgery? Or do tests on lymph nodes, liver or spleen then too?

After surgery or before: grading, staging, chemo, radiotherapy.

Diet: many different opinions on this. Tilly is on Caesar as it is all she will eat. No negatives about why she is on it please as it’s her choice not ours at the moment.

Sorry, for the long post, I’m new to all of this and very emotional as I only lost my beloved pony at the end of last year and my beautiful dog has been helping me through it....

Thank you
Pennie
So- firstly, I'm sorry to hear this, it must be a very difficult time for you and obviously many questions. I'm not a vet, so this is purely anecdotal and my version of things.
Until you have all the info, including the grade of tumour you will need to deal with and its location, it would be difficult to give a plan of action. So go with the advice from your vet, and based on how Tilly is likely to cope. From what I hear, dogs cope better with chemo treatment than you might think.
And the last dog I know was diagnosed with mast cell tumour at 9 years old? Still going strong after three years and not looking any worse for it!

palo1

Visit site
My hound had a mast cell tumour when she was 2 years old. It came up pretty quickly but was in an awkward place (on her hind leg on that stretchy bit of skin that connects the stifle to the tummy!!). Vet was very cautious with a prognosis as the lump was the size of an egg - I had thought it was a bite of some kind. She had the operation and was crated for 6 weeks so that the wound did not break down. It was certainly a worrying time and hard to nurse and keep her so limited but my girl just has an impressive scar now and is 12 and incredibly vigorous and lively still. :) The vet was delighted as I think he was concerned it would not be such a good outcome. As far as I can remember she just had metacam prior to and after treatment and one other drug for a brief time. Chemo was not an option for me at that point to be honest as my dog wasn't insured. In any case the Vet clearly did an excellent job!! Good luck with your Tilly.

HeyMich

Visit site
Our dog had a mast cell tumour, it was about the size of a pound coin on the side of her belly. She had it removed with a lot of surrounding skin, so the scar was over 10cm long! It healed fine (she split it open after about 10 days so needed it re-stitched) and so far no others have appeared. She's now a 13 yr old dog, so not sure we would put her through surgery again, but fingers crossed we won't need to!

lovingponies

Visit site
Our dog had a mast cell tumour, it was about the size of a pound coin on the side of her belly. She had it removed with a lot of surrounding skin, so the scar was over 10cm long! It healed fine (she split it open after about 10 days so needed it re-stitched) and so far no others have appeared. She's now a 13 yr old dog, so not sure we would put her through surgery again, but fingers crossed we won't need to!
Thank you, how old was she when she had it removed?

lovingponies

Visit site
I
My hound had a mast cell tumour when she was 2 years old. It came up pretty quickly but was in an awkward place (on her hind leg on that stretchy bit of skin that connects the stifle to the tummy!!). Vet was very cautious with a prognosis as the lump was the size of an egg - I had thought it was a bite of some kind. She had the operation and was crated for 6 weeks so that the wound did not break down. It was certainly a worrying time and hard to nurse and keep her so limited but my girl just has an impressive scar now and is 12 and incredibly vigorous and lively still. :) The vet was delighted as I think he was concerned it would not be such a good outcome. As far as I can remember she just had metacam prior to and after treatment and one other drug for a brief time. Chemo was not an option for me at that point to be honest as my dog wasn't insured. In any case the Vet clearly did an excellent job!! Good luck with your Tilly.
am so pleased your dog is doing well

lovingponies

Visit site
Benedryl

Thank you all so far.
Hi please could I have some opinions on Benedryl. My Tilly is booked in to have three tumours removed next week. Vet has said he will give Benedryl or Puriton a few days before op. What are your experiences of this please. I said to him about starting now but he said no need. I’ve heard varying views and would appreciate any opinions. She weighs only 6.4kg. Also are there any side effects?

Many thanks

Aru

Visit site
This may be overly scientific but this is a decent vet congress article on mast cell tumors and lays out all the options and gradings etc

https://www.vin.com/apputil/content/defaultadv1.aspx?id=7054681&pid=12886&

I've also found this fact sheet very helpful as it lays out the usual plan of attack for these tumours.

http://www.acvim.org/Portals/0/PDF/Animal Owner Fact Sheets/Oncology/Mast Cell Tumors.pdf

Unfortunately, most of the treatments and idea of prognosis, etc really does depend on what grade of Mast cell they think it is a plan of attack is usually decided on post surgical removal and Histopath. Scans etc will depend on tumor grade and type and if margins were possible- be prepared for a large wound as these guys need a wide margin around them to help limit the risk of leaving the tendrils of tumour cells behind- these type have a nasty habit of spreading out in a octopus like fashion from the main mass. vets can scan early if required but it may not be necessary with lower grade tumors.

Fingers Crossed its a low grade, as those are managed by removal alone in many cases.

Parrotperson

Visit site
ok. breathe. My jrt is 16yrs old now. her first mast cell tumour was on the back of her neck at age three, which is very unusual or so I was told. she had two ops for that one as they didn't get the margins the first time

second one at age 9. This one right where her tail meets her back.

both removed and all ok afterward. they were both low risk as removed as soon as spotted. I chose not to have her scanned but had her lymph nodes checked every three months.

She does now have a lump of some sort in her anus (of all places 😳) so every time she poo's it dislodges her rectum. I pop it back in easy enough so no problem so far. Vet says she is too old for the big op it would take to remove it but I wouldn't put her through it anyway. she's fit and healthy in every other way

you need to ask/make sure

1. what stage is it? is it likely to spread?
2.make absolutely sure they get the margins! two ops within a week was horrendous

diet won't make a difference so don't fret it

my little terrierist has ne ver had meds for it either. Can't see why you would but ask your vet.

if its internal (you don't say) then yes I'd have a scan. I'd also do what we did and get her lymph nodes checked regularly.

let us know how you go and good luck. xx

lovingponies

Visit site
ok. breathe. My jrt is 16yrs old now. her first mast cell tumour was on the back of her neck at age three, which is very unusual or so I was told. she had two ops for that one as they didn't get the margins the first time

second one at age 9. This one right where her tail meets her back.

both removed and all ok afterward. they were both low risk as removed as soon as spotted. I chose not to have her scanned but had her lymph nodes checked every three months.

She does now have a lump of some sort in her anus (of all places 😳) so every time she poo's it dislodges her rectum. I pop it back in easy enough so no problem so far. Vet says she is too old for the big op it would take to remove it but I wouldn't put her through it anyway. she's fit and healthy in every other way

you need to ask/make sure

1. what stage is it? is it likely to spread?
2.make absolutely sure they get the margins! two ops within a week was horrendous

diet won't make a difference so don't fret it

my little terrierist has ne ver had meds for it either. Can't see why you would but ask your vet.

if its internal (you don't say) then yes I'd have a scan. I'd also do what we did and get her lymph nodes checked regularly.

let us know how you go and good luck. xx
Thank you for all of that. It is external, near her tail join to the back actually! There are two other lumps I found when we went back to get results, one on her face and one on her side, am waiting results on those. Have asked for them all to be removed even if not cancerous, this time. Am also going to have scan, X-ray and aspiration of lymph node whilst she is under. I am just praying for grade 1, stage 1 and that they get the margins.... I have only recently lost my 34 years old pon and feel I will die if something happens to my beautiful dog. She is so affectionate......yes breathe, doing a lot of that and praying x, thanks again