Masta rugs - hate them or rate them??

helen75

Visit site
Masta rugs - hate them or rate them??

I'm looking for a new heavy weight T/O for my 'chunky' TB.

I've never had a masta rug but keep coming across them - 15% of at Robinsons now for example.

I would REALLY appreciate any opinions.

Thank you in advance!

catembi

Visit site
Hate them! Mine was never waterproof, cut shallow so it looks like the horse is wearing a miniskirt & the trigger clips on the leg straps were so sharp that they cut my thumbs. They broke anyway, so I got them replaced. Mine also has a funny sticky lining to the rug doesn't slide off...you have to peel it off.

It was in the sale, which made me buy it, but I wish I hadn't!

I also got a duvet (will I never learn...?) & it came up a good 6" bigger than the stated size. It is far too big for my 6 ft 6 horse when it says 6 ft 3 on it & was bought for my smaller horse.

T x

Ilovefoals

Visit site
Hate them. Agree with mini skirt comment and neck cover has stupid narrow fastenings that it's impossible to feed the velcro thru even when your hands are not frozen solid. Never buying one again!

Zimzim

Visit site
Havent used Masta turnouts before but wouldnt mind getting one, my horse has masta stable rugs and fleeces and they fit him really well, good quality and seem indestructable!

Alphamare

Visit site
Rate them they fit my chunky lot brilliantly and are nice and deep through the neck, across the shoulders and through the belly. Would buy them again

Crosshill Pacers

Visit site
Bought a full neck Masta rug for my Standardbred (built very much like a TB) as I had her clipped, first time I've bought a full neck rug and I can't fault it. It fits perfectly all over, is completely waterproof (well tested this last week!) and so far indestructible. Considering when she first had her turnout rug on this autumn she managed to rip the front two straps on within 24 hours, this new rug is holding up very well!

fabscd

Visit site
Mostly hate, they are either way to shallow or way too deep, the necks are just too big so they slip back (and i don't have skinny little horses either) and all the turnouts i have had have ripped far quicker than any of my Mark Todd or Weatherbeeta rugs

angellauren

Visit site
I didn't like them, they fit my pony terribly around the shoulders in particular and slipped back a lot so I haven't bought another one since. I wouldn't recommend them for ponies or finer breeds especially.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Not for me either.

Not deep enough, lining came away very quickly, stitching gave up and it slipped on a horse that never moves his rugs.

Mine are old, perhaps things have improved by now.

leannesanx

Visit site
Love love love them. I have a cob and only buy Masta where possible as they fit him well round the neck and shoulders, are generous with sizing and seem to be one of the most durable rugs around. Pretty good prices too.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I found my old ones didn't stay waterproof for long. And they aren't the best fit either. We were given some by a friend and whilst these stay waterproof they slip back and rubbed behind the wither. That was on my Welsh D x TB and he's a fairly chunky little man. The combo rug seems better - but is rubbing slightly on the shoudler.. I'd have weatherbeeta over a masta anyday.

Faro

Visit site
Bought once, not again. Way too big in the neck. To get the right body length of rug, the neck was so low cut that it exposed half of the horse's shoulder. Not a good fit for my Arab types!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I have a lightweight, in heavy rain the water will go through. However that's the same with my amigo too.
I think you get what you pay for, personally wouldn't buy for heavyweight ie really bad weather.

skint1

Visit site
I've been happy with my Tb's lw, it fits him well and has never leaked even in the heaviest downpour, mind I have only bought it this year so we will see if it lasts!

touchstone

Visit site
I don't like them, they seem to be cut to fit a clothes horse instead of a real one, not impressed with the quality either. I much prefer weatherbeeta's or Horseware.

hayinamanger

Visit site
I can't speak for the quality of today's Masta rugs, but I had a few 10 years or so ago. They were roomy enough for the heavy horses, but they always slipped to the off side and the cotton lining (which I hate) gripped like velcro and made them impossible to pull back into place. They seemed to rip very easily, too. I would not buy a Masta again. My preference is Fal or Horseware with Weatherbeeta in reserve.