masterclip clippers

callie

Visit site
What are peoples thoughts on masterclip clippers? I am looking to buy clippers and have seen a set of masterclip clippers and am wondering if anyone has had any problems with them, or if anyone can recommend them.
Many thanks

Daytona

Visit site
Brilliant clippers, I love mine

They where votes top clippers by one of the horse mags too

I've had no issue with mine or my masterclip trimmers

diet2ride

Visit site
I've just bought a set of the rangers, they are meant to be good for cob coats. I haven't tried them yet but the reviews seem good and the aftersales also has good reviews. my only grumble is I cant get the covercote blades for them. its not a deal breaker but would of been handy

WelshD

Visit site
There is a chap in the building opposite where I work that services and mends clippers full time and he has told me to avoid the Chinese clippers completely. he says that a secondhand set of Lister or Heiniger clippers would be a much better bet

shadowboy

Visit site
I have the £139 pair. I used them 3 times last year on 3 different horses and they clipped very very well. Never got hot, cut through native coat with ease. I'm not expecting them to last forever at that price but they've saved me money already as a hunter clip here costs £45 so in total they cost the equivalent of the 3x clips, I've turned them on and they are still running well so I hope to use them on just one horse this year. I always use a circuit breaker anyway for safety which the website do recommend.

Last edited:

wattamus

Visit site
I have some Masterclip clippers, I bought them over 6 years ago for £99 on eBay (brand new- before they were more known) and they have never let me down only just having to buy a new pair of blades this year too! x

liz4949

Visit site
I have cordless Masterclip clippers and use them on my TB. They are cheap, quick, light and quiet, what more can you ask for? Really love using them.

Shear Ease

www.sheareaseltd.com
In the past I have been one for rubbishing Materclip or any other brand that imports from China.

Unfortunately I think the tide is changing and these clippers (masterclip and others) are changing the once established stronghold the likes of Heineger, Lister Shearing, Lister GmBh and Hauptner have on the market.

As you will see above, there is not a single negative comment other than subjective rumour that chinese clippers should be avoided.

Truth be told, allot of the parts in the big brand clippers come from bongobongo land anyway. In addition, these big brands now incorporate the same chinese clippers into their own range and rebrand them. We service and repair who knows how many clippers everyday and I assure you, you would be surprised how many clippers only difference is the branding on the one sticker on the outside of a case.

Masterclip's heavy duty blades are not the best quality - you often have to adjust the comb for it to be in the right place in relation to the cutter for optimal clipping and they do not keep their edge as long as the Heineger blades. Then again, you are paying just over half the price - what do you expect.

I have never read a negative comment about their service department or warranty (which is market leading at 2 years on most (if not all) their clippers). The vibes I get from forums is that if the clippers do go wrong they are replaced without quibble.

The only drawback is that they do not sharpen their own blades but can recommend a firm/s to do them for you.

On a selfish note, for a firm that stocks mainly expensive, big brand parts, these cheaper clippers are barely ever worth repairing. A service fee and a few wear and tear parts changed amounts to half the cost of a cheap clipper sometimes, major faults are not even worth looking at. We tend to see a cheaper clipper and think 'oh no, here comes a waste of the 20 minutes it takes to sort a repair quote'. The blades do not hold their edge very well either so there is an increased risk of an unhappy customer that sends in cheaper blades.

Too much rambling? - Sorry!

TheEngineer

Visit site
Sorry to disagree, but I have an old and oft used saying, which is "You can cover a turd in glitter, but under the glitter it will always be a turd".....You pay your money, you take your choice and some people will always want cheap. The same people who would rather spray WD40 on their clippers than pay £4.50 for a bottle of clipper oil, the same people who would rather buy "lian shan po remoulds" than put "Goodyears" on their car. The people who think a £1 meal from Iceland is as good as a £5 meal you have cooked yourself. I had two customers today, one with a Lister Stablemate which had finally died...purchased in 1996. The second with a Liveryman Arena purchased in 2000. They chose well and received good value. As for your comment re Chinese parts etc, I agree to a point, many manufacturers including BMW motorcycles, purchase and or have parts made in China. The important thing being the "Quality control" and the "Specification" to which items are made. The Chinese are very good at copying, I have been to Taiwan and visited factories which could copy virtually anything. But it is far easier to copy something badly, than to design and build a product from the ground up. I will always, whoever I work for, try to give my customers the best service, as I know you do, my advice will always be based on my 20 years experience and the day I find a Chinese machine that I am happy to recommend, trust me I will let you all know. Happy clipping.

Scarlett

Visit site
My cheap Chinese clippers are 7 years old and have been as reliable as any big name brands. They cost me £85. I've done between 6 and 10 full clips each year with no issues. They use Heineger blades but I buy the Masterclip £12 versions from Ebay. Maybe the blades don't do as many clips as a 'genuine' pair but I really don't notice any difference.

I've looked after them and they have been faultless.