Mastitis - Phantom Pregnancy

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Terrier had her first season aged 9 months in September. Normal season, nothing unusual. Since then her mammaries have gradually engorged. I have tried to exude them & nothing has come out. Tonight they have reddened around the nipple. They don't appear sore to touch & pup is fine in herself - eating & exercising normally. Never come across this before - had bitches with phantom pregnancies & swollen boobies but they have never turned red. Any ideas?

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Im sure you had no answers because people dont know, if I am in any doubt about any of my dogs I ring my vet, I certainly wouldn't be checking it out on a forum first.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with my question. You've just reinforced my original conclusion.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
Just to add the redness has gone & although her boobs are still swollen she is her normal self. Some people phone their vet if their dog so much as farts. Thankfully, I don't have a trigger finger on my vets telephone number & know the difference between an emergency & a query.

Aru

Visit site
The obvious answer to your question was if your worried see or ring your vet...people hate that responce.So I for one didnt bother to answer with that and id imagine thats why you got no replies.
You already considered phantom preg and mastitis which would be the major causes of the issue described in a non pregnant dog so there wasnt an awful lot anyone could add of help.you were monitoring her already so no need to add that and i didnt have any useful ideas.. unless you wanted me to say oh either shes actually pregnant or you could be horribly unlucky and shes showing a potential sign of malignant mammary cancer"redness and swelling of the mammarys"....and advise you to go see your vet. :p....im joking btw thats highly unlikely to be her issue.....so you can see why i didnt helpfully suggest it.
We cant see the dog and have no idea exactly what you are describing. redness on mammarys could mean anything from ragging pulsing red to a mild pink discolouration...so generally a written description is not a lot of use in these sort of queries.

glad you decided to be rude and insult everyone who read your post though.That was a great contrabution to aad that.

Ringing your vet could have put your mind at ease a lot easier that posting on here and then getting snarky when no one had the ideas. Insulting the one person who decided to reply to you was rude.

Now the real question is should i bother to post this reply...

ribbons

Visit site
You're obviously suspecting false pregnancy with the possible complication of mastitis. If that's the reality she needs medication from the vet. Your lack of a 'trigger finger' isn't going to cure it.
What will you do ? Wait till its full blown milk fever, toxic poisoning, near death situation, then pay a fortune to save her life, when a quick consultation and fairly inexpensive medication straight away would have dealt with it or discovered a more sinister problem.
Well done for the slagging off of AAD members. You'll get a lot of support and help in the future won't you.