Mattingley, accident this afternoon?

Thistle

Visit site
There was a bad fall in the SJ warm up for the 80T class. We left when they were still waiting for the Air Ambulance to arrive. The event was pretty much at a standstill as all the medics were in attendance and the SJ obviously couldn't run.

Does anyone know how the rider is? Get well vibes to them.

mavandkaz

Visit site
sorry, no information about the rider. just to say that we were there when it happened. the event ending up being held for over an hour, it all seemed to be going very slowly...

i hope the rider is ok, and everyone else involved.

RuthnMeg

Visit site
I've heard on the grape vine through a friend who was watching that the rider in question appeared to break her back as she didn't have any feeling/ no movement in her legs. Very sad, and I hope its not true. Also to say, that friend was very pleased with the paramedics as they did a super job.
Get well vibes to whoever it was.

MandyMoo

Visit site
I've heard on the grape vine through a friend who was watching that the rider in question appeared to break her back as she didn't have any feeling/ no movement in her legs. Very sad, and I hope its not true. Also to say, that friend was very pleased with the paramedics as they did a super job.
Get well vibes to whoever it was.

oh no!!! sounds horrific :( :( hope the rider and horse are ok... and seriously hope it isn't a serious/permanent spine injury (well... hopefully no spine injury atall really!!)

get well vibes xxx

Gucci_b

Visit site
I was on the x.country course when the accident happened, and a x.c Steward told us the rider approached the show jumping fence and fell over the horses head, then the horse stumbled and fell on top on the rider, the paramedics ran over to help the girl and she wasn't breathing at 1st, when the paramedics got the girl to come round she could not move her limbs, so the decision was made to call the air ambulance. Every thing came to a stand still for nearly an hour. The jump steward then got a call saying that the rest of the event may be cancelled due to the time. Thankfully the girl was air lifted to hospital swiftly, then the event ran ahead. Have only just got home an hour ago. There was many falls today at Mattingley. I hope the girl makes a speedy recovery.

queenb

Visit site
I was at Mattingley today in the 80t class and would just like to send loads of vibes and hugs to the poor person, it was horrid. Would also like to say a huge thank you to everyone there helping etc who mad a tough day carry on running with a smile. The poor lady who was organisng the sj warm up was fab, once started again she got people in to jump as quick as she could and was still so polite and calm. And must say how fab David and Elouise were !
Again big hugs and get well soon vibes to the person concerned if anyone knows them

Eventer96

twitter.com
Really hope the rider isn't as seriously injured as suggested. It does highlight how dangerous the sport is even at the lower levels. :( Wishing the rider all the best and a speedy recovery. Sounds like a horrible accident! :(

Did the horse walk away without injury?

charlie76

Visit site
I was also there, she def was moving her legs when I saw her. Looked like she was trying to kick the medics so hopefully she is fine, just shocked.

Pacey

Visit site
Just as a stark reminder,

The air ambulance is entirely CHARITY FUNDED.

It was entirely by kind donations from the public that the air ambulance was able to pick that unlucky girl up today.

It is not funded by the government, lottery etc at all.

Always give to the air ambulance whenever you can. Keep it flying above us.

http://justgiving.co.uk/keep-us-flying

This is my sisters donation page to the air ambulance, and her story of when they picked her up. You can also see photos of her injuries.

Sorry to hi-jack.

It's just not common knowledge that this excellent service is in fact a CHARITY.

HannahHDEventing

Visit site
Hi. We were there yesterday and unfortunately we saw the accident. I don't know how the girl is, but I really wish her a speedy and full recovery. the medics were there pretty quickly and the sj warm up was moved straight away. The horse was fine and was taken away. The organisers there were fantastic in the circumstances and got everything back up and running as quick as possible. Thank you to all the organisers and everyone involved. I do hope that everyone was able to run.

AML

Visit site
Following on from Pacey's post.

Many of you may not be aware that most Air Ambulance regions run their own weekly lottery.
For £1 a week (£52 a year) your number will be entered into the weekly draw, where the top prize is £500.
A good way to donate and with the possibility of a win. Possibly. Maybe.... not holding my breath.

This is the link to the Hampshire Air Ambulance site, but your own area will run one as well.

http://www.clublottery.co.uk/flightforlife/choose.jsp

Hopefully the girls injuries aren't as bad as feared, but at least she was in the best hands with the Air Ambulane team.

charlie76

Visit site
The air ambulance came from Hants/Isle of wight hence the time scale. However, just to clarify, the girl went by road to hospital, not by air.
The event was held as they can't run without first aid cover.
From an outsiders point of view, the care from the Mattingly organisers, the medics and the Ambulance service was outstanding.

Thistle

Visit site
Another fact that is not widely known about air ambulances. Often they are not just used as a high speed ambulance. Many now carry an emergency trained doctor on board and they are an extremely quick and efficient way of getting the doctor to the scene, along with a paramedic and associated equipment.
Sometimes it is better for the patient to be transferred to hospital via a land ambulance.
Hampshire was one of the last counties in the UK to get an air ambulance, they have only had it for a few years. The other two most recent additions were Herts (run as part of Herts and Essex air amb trust) and Beds (run alongside Anglia) My OH is a Trustee of Herts and Essex Air Amb.

Every time the Air Ambulance is tasked it costs £1000 - £1500.