Mature enough to back ?

Asha

Visit site
Hello All

just interested in every ones opinion, if you think my youngster looks mature enough to start ? Shes 3, but born in March so almost 3 1/2. Her dam is 3/4 ID x 1/4 TB, and sire is Oldenburgh x TB, so think that means shes a Heinz 57 !

I had planned to start her next spring as she turns 4, im in no rush, shes not misbehaving, in anyway. Shes spent the summer with her other baby friends. I just noticed how 'well' shes looking and thought maybe a bit of work would do her good.

shes had a bridle on, and a roller and wasn't bothered ( just once ). Would you start if she was yours?

She is on uneven ground so not that bum high .

attachment.php

Last edited:

pippixox

Visit site
it probably wouldn't hurt to start backing her, but as summer is coming to an end will you have time as winter kicks in? As personally I have found once you start you want to be able to work them nearly every day for some consistency while it is all new. I backed my 2 ponies this summer and now plan on giving them the winter off (they turned 4 in may, but I got them in april in quite poor condition and they are growing lots!)

PorkChop

Visit site
She is lovely :)

Yes, I think she looks mature enough to back. I backed my now 4 year old in October/September last year then brought her back into work in March.

As long as you have daylight time in the winter it shouldn't be a problem.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
i think i would be tootling about on her a bit now, then if the weather is awful jan/feb let her have some time off and pick up again in spring :)

she looks very sweet and a nice strong back.

Asha

Visit site
Thanks all. its the same time of year that we started her brother and it seemed to work quite nicely, in that he had a couple of months off over the worst of the weather and cracked on in the spring. She's so much like her dam, I'm hoping she turns out as kind under saddle. She's supposedly my horse for the future, fingers crossed.

kez81

Visit site
Nope but then I personally don't start any youngsters regardless of how mature they might look, til they are at least four and half, sometimes later depending on how I think they are physically and mentally.

exmoorponyprincess1

Lanarkshire Lass trying out Somerset for size :)
Visit site
Nope but then I personally don't start any youngsters regardless of how mature they might look, til they are at least four and half, sometimes later depending on how I think they are physically and mentally.
^^^ this. 4 is the youngest I would consider getting on anything and even then only to do light work for a year or so. Isn't their skeleton still fusing up to the age of 5 1/2 anyway?

kez81

Visit site
^^^ this. 4 is the youngest I would consider getting on anything and even then only to do light work for a year or so. Isn't their skeleton still fusing up to the age of 5 1/2 anyway?

Yes right up til around six and sometimes later! Mine do light work for the first year, just hacking and basic schooling. They don't start jumping til they turn six much to the dismay of many locals who tell me I should be just getting on with it and be out round all the hedges etc by now! Sigh each to their own just let me do my own horses my way!

Asha

Visit site
It certainly hasn't hurt her brother, he was backed then turned away until the spring. Brought back into work and did some light work, hacking ect, started jumping at the end of his 4th year. At 5 he started BSJA, and now at 6 has done a handful of newcomers. He's had the summer off, and is now getting fit ready to start competing again.

Aria is unlikely to follow the same path, as I don't think she has the talent for jumping as her brother. She's likely to be my riding horse, which will mean pottering about a bit, and maybe the odd dressage comp next year . She's bred to be an eventer, so if she has any potential she can have a go at that. If not, then an easy life of RC activities with me.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yup, she looks well grown and mature. Common sense should take care of the amount of work you do with her, but waiting (and waiting, and waiting.........) just means horses lack training. I'd certainly crack on.

MissMistletoe

Visit site
I would most definitely plan to lightly back this year once that she has done a little groundwork and preparation.

A few short and sweet hacks, then a winter holiday!

Doormouse

Visit site
I backed my now 4 year old last September, she was far too fat so only did a small amount, rode her 6 times in total. I brought her back end of April this year and she hadn't forgotten anything and we were hacking out in a week. She has gone from strength to strength this year and I'm really pleased that I just got a saddle on her and rode her a bit as a 3 year old.