mature height.. sorry been asked before.

junglediva

Visit site
im sure this question has been asked before but i was wondering if some of you had/have a horse that was small as a 2yrs old and had a growth spurt or got rapidly or quite alot bigger? im just wondering this as i have a 2yrs old gelding who is currently approx 15.0hh. his sire is wulfstan lonestar who is a 16.2hh salle france..(see pic) and his dam is is a 15.0hh showjumper called solitaire XIV who was arab x.

a_broomes_116.gif

this is my boy
007-3.jpg

019-1.jpg

his breeders said he should make very near to 16hh but i cant see him making that if he is 2yrs old now and only 15hh. im 5ft7/8 ish so i reall hope he'll make 16.hh or near. any of u breeding experts had youngsters who grew bigger as a 2yrs old?
smirk.gif

hairymolly

Visit site
I bought my horsey 18 months ago she was standing at 15.2HH and she was rising five. She is now 16.1HH and has filled out so much she has practicaly doubled in size!!
grin.gif

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I would try and find out how late (or early ) the parents were at maturing . Some do mature very late . I bought a six year old that would have needed to stand on tip toes to get 16hh which was ideal for me . Within six months she was 16.3hh and nearly that wide !! It really is a wait and see game .

CBFan

Visit site
He's only 2!! he has another 4+ years of slow growing to do so yes, I'd say he could quite easily make the 15.3 / 16hh mark.

My boy is 2 and is currently about 16.1 at the front end and 16.3 behind... I expect him to finnish up at 17hh +

devilwoman

Visit site
Hi my filly is WB x Welsh Section D - I bought her at 21 months old standing 13.1hh and today she has measured 16hh spot on and she is now 32 months old (3 in May).

Lovely boy you have there.

V1NN

Visit site
hi their i have to say what a lovely looking horse he is. my boy is rising 2yrs he will be 2 in may and he is currently at a guess just above 15hh last time i actually measured him last month he was just under the 15hh mark and he's grown a bit i'm in same boat as you i'm desperately hoping he'll make the 16hh mark (i am almost certain he will) have you done the string tests? look them up on google, my friend swears they are pretty accurate. but yeah he's got at least another yr of really good growing to do and then a couple yrs after that to grow more steadily and fill out so i think you will get at least 16hh xx

Snugglebum

Visit site
You deffo need to do the string test as it really does seem to be accurate at predicting mature height

I bought a 3 yr old warmblood who was 16.1 max by 7yrs old he had grown to 17.3 ! I am only small and didn't want such a big horse.
We did the string test on him but we didn't think he could possibly grow so much , but he did.

I have done it on my new youngster and it looks as though he is going to make another couple of inches so fingers crossed he will be the perfect size.

Foxford

Visit site
He is lovely, almost exactly the same colouring as my youngster. My boy was barely 15hh when I got him at 20 months. He is now pushing 16.2 at the croup and still growing... He is one of those horses that grows very slowly and steadily - which is the best way really!

I don't know if the link will work, but here is my boy last summer... I am 5'10" so I was keeping everything crossed that he carried on going!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=84...mp;id=735245369

junglediva

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He is lovely, almost exactly the same colouring as my youngster. My boy was barely 15hh when I got him at 20 months. He is now pushing 16.2 at the croup and still growing... He is one of those horses that grows very slowly and steadily - which is the best way really!

I don't know if the link will work, but here is my boy last summer... I am 5'10" so I was keeping everything crossed that he carried on going!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=84...mp;id=735245369

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW..... how stunning fancy swapping lol.. they look very similar. they even have the white stripe and white 'blotches' around their body' id love it if my boy turned out like your
laugh.gif

whats his breeding by the way??

Foxford

Visit site
Thank you! He is 3 1/2 now so I think he will finish at 16.3. He is an Irish bred RID by Welcome Flagmount. I get so many nice comments about his colouring, but I've not seen another horse that looks anything like him before. I'm reliably informed he will go grey eventually. I have loads of pictures of him so it will be really interesting to see how his colour changes over the years.
Good luck with your boy!
smile.gif