Max Tweseldown Report

monte1

Visit site
Hi Everyone, thought i would write a little report on how everything has been going for Max and I lately.

So, after having such a fab and positive day XC schooling at Tweseldown a month or so ago my lovely trainer friend convinced me to enter the UA 90 at Tweseldown, as our first real ODE event.

My only concern was that he has been feeling a little flat and lacking energy over the last couple of weeks, we have put it down to coat change time, got him on some energy feed and a bit of propell. which appears to now be kicking in ( although a bit late :))

Anyway, fast forward to Saturday we arrive in plenty of time and he is calm and well behaved.
warmed up for dressage and starting to get him working more over his back, -still a work in progress as I tend to hang on a bit to the contact, but we are getting there!
In to the test, had some good moments and came away with a score of 37.8.
bit of a wait, then over to SJ, warmed up OK, into the ring, first half of course was fine, then I had a panic moment and rushed him over the last few, having three down- lots to work on over winter!
A quick change and over to the XC, getting nervous now as have no idea how it was going to go.- into start box counted down and we were off, bit wobbly and sticky over the first few, looking all over the place at everything- jump judges flags dog walkers, but jumping them when he got there, although not in greatest style. he tackled the coffin really well and started to settle a bit and look for the next few jumps. Tried to give him time at the jump into first water to figure it all out, he popped over, was very slow into the water but through and nicely out over the duck(which apparently gave several people problems) , over next, steadied again for the jump before the step down just to give him time to clock it all, again looked but went, so all good.
on to the step up, again giving a chance to figure it out himself so didn't rush him, popped up fine but I lost my line to the flowerbox turn and instead of being quick enough to turn him and kicking on, we ground to a halt ( totally a baby mistake) represented and over fine. on down to second water - i think i was running out of puff - i let him take a look at house and we stopped again :-( represented with a few growls, over and through, then finished over final two fences.
so i did feel I held his hoofs and carried him round a bit, but he was honest, did what i asked and the 90 felt small as we jumped them (which is a huge thing for me to say!)

i think with his usual more forward energy levels it would have been less hard work for me and also if my judgement and timing was better we would not have had those two silly stops, but overall I am so pleased with him, his attitude all day and looking at his face over a few of the jumps, ears always forward.
am really looking forward to getting out next year now!

sorry that was rather epic... thanks for reading!

dixie

Visit site
Well done, not bad for a first attempt and as long as you both came back happy, that's the main thing. Sounds like with a bit of work and experience you'll both do well next year.

helenchat

Visit site
Well done! Don't beat yourself up about the cross country- I was in the 80 on Saturday and watched a fair few around the 90 too, and so many people had trouble jumping into the second water! It was very distracting and spooky, you definitely weren't alone in having trouble there. The showjumping also seemed to be causing carnage- if I remember rightly there were only 3 clear rounds in my section, poles flying all over the place !

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Sounds like you had a good experience, and you got all three elements done which is a tough enough thing to do in the first place! Do we get any pics? D

LeannePip

Visit site
Well done! Don't beat yourself up about the cross country- I was in the 80 on Saturday and watched a fair few around the 90 too, and so many people had trouble jumping into the second water! It was very distracting and spooky, you definitely weren't alone in having trouble there. The showjumping also seemed to be causing carnage- if I remember rightly there were only 3 clear rounds in my section, poles flying all over the place !

I would second this - we sat by the second water for a couple of hours on Saturday and it caused no end of problems

The showjumping also seemed to cause alot of problems in the 90, numbers 5&6 seemed to be the worst culprits.

monte1

Visit site
I would second this - we sat by the second water for a couple of hours on Saturday and it caused no end of problems

The showjumping also seemed to cause alot of problems in the 90, numbers 5&6 seemed to be the worst culprits.

thank you LeannePip, overall i am taking all the postives from the day. super pleased with his attitude and usually he really takes me to a a fence, putting it down to him being a bit overwhelmed with the whole atmosphere of the day.
SJ was all my fault, i got over 5 fine and thought o god get a decent line to 6 as everyone knocking it down... !! and just pushed him flat, after that think i just lost my rhythym.
will try upload some piccies, my freind took lots for me - the pro photographer has a nice one of us over the house into the second water- think may have to splash out on that one, the jump looks tiny in it !!

almostthere

Visit site
Well done! I rode in the 90 on the Saturday and I would say the xc was quite long for a 90 with quite a few gallopy bits and with 2 strong waters...jumping in AND out..so I think to get a baby horse around is an amazing job. Huge congrats.