Max weight an 11hh pony can take

Frumpoon

Visit site
Seeking opinions really

I have a very green 11hh pony that would benefit from some schooling but no kids of my own and no kids experienced enough on yard

I tape measured her yesterday at 230kg, so if we apply the 20% rule that means 46kg is her working max

I'm starting to think the 20% rule is nonsense though as that would mean my big 17hh warmblood could take 140kg of rider and there's no way I'd put that on him

I'm 5ft 4 and about 10 stone but with a decentish core and balance, pony is not a chunky type, quite fine like an Arab

southerncomfort

Visit site
She sounds like a welsh b. I had a finely built 12.2hh welsh b and the maximum I allowed her to carry was 8 st. ETA: I might have allowed someone a bit heavier to ride for short periods only if they were well balanced.

Also if your pony is green, then I guess she hasn't been ridden much and possibly won't have much topline/muscle.

I'm afraid I wouldn't ride her if I were you. If it were a welsh mountain pony then it would be ok but she sounds too lightly built to carry you.

Frumpoon

Visit site
She's a welsh sec A, she needs more condition for sure, she came out of winter looking terrible and was a bit of a rescue

I'm inclined to agree with you that I'm too heavy

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Yes, the 20% rule is rubbish. I think the larger the horse, the less percentage of its weight it can carry. Small ponies such as yours should be okay with 20% (including tack) but I wouldn't want more than 15% on anything over 15 hands, ideally less. Remember that full sized tack and rider clothing (hat etc) weighs around 2 stone. Obviously less when it's a small pony due to the saddle being smaller, but the rider clothing etc remains the same so I'd say you need to add around 1.5 stone to calculate your riding weight on her. That's approx 73 kg (around a third of her weight) Yes, you're way too heavy for her, sorry.

Last edited:

be positive

Visit site
I would get her working really well on the lunge so she is as safe as possible and listening to you 100% then pop on the best kid on the yard and do some work on the lunge, if you go slowly enough and the pony is kind you should be able to make some progress and the child may benefit from some extra riding/ tuition in the process, if she is very sharp it may not be easy but if she is ever going to be useful her job is likely to be with less able children because of her size, unless you get her driving.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Yes, the 20% rule is rubbish. I think the larger the horse, the less percentage of its weight it can carry. Small ponies such as yours should be okay with 20% (including tack) but I wouldn't want more than 15% on anything over 15 hands, ideally less. Remember that full sized tack and rider clothing (hat etc) weighs around 2 stone. Obviously less when it's a small pony due to the saddle being smaller, but the rider clothing etc remains the same so I'd say you need to add around 1.5 stone to calculate your riding weight on her. That's approx 73 kg (around a third of her weight) Yes, you're way too heavy for her, sorry.

I had to turn to google in a panic then ..... Im ok to ride my 16.1 and 16.2 brick ***** houses at just under 13 stone ... Pheeeewww!

Frumpoon

Visit site
Nobody has to apologise, I think I'm too heavy too which is why all my other horses are 17hh plus

Pony isn't even remotely sharp and is safe with a kid at walk and trot but fine tuning reactions to aids and whatnot can only be done in board, I have a light friend I will co-opt in

Lintel

Visit site
I'm 8 stone and have ridden and jumped a 11hh who was quite fine and araby but I wouldn't be comfortable putting anymore on them unless they were fit and had carried a reasonable amount of weight before.