Maximum age for competing horses

huntley

Visit site
I am amazed by the response from everyone!! I still hunt my 21 year old, but I was approaching this more from a PR point of view. No need for all the abuse. There almost seems to be a competition developing as to who can take the oldest horse round a 4* and I don't think it is particularly good for the sport. Can't believe so many people have taken it personally - ridiculous in my opinion.

3DE

Visit site
I am amazed by the response from everyone!! I still hunt my 21 year old, but I was approaching this more from a PR point of view. No need for all the abuse. There almost seems to be a competition developing as to who can take the oldest horse round a 4* and I don't think it is particularly good for the sport. Can't believe so many people have taken it personally - ridiculous in my opinion.

Why wouldn't people take offence - you were the one who used the word 'horrified'. Of course people are going to get defensive if they are still competing 20+

A horse that it fit, active and healthy (and talented) will have no problem going round a 4*. What about all the 30+ riding school ponies doing 5-6 hours of lessons a day?

huntley

Visit site
I never used the word "horrified". We are talking about completely different levels of work that is required to run horses at this level. I have no problem with horses/ponies carrying on working as long as they can, but this level of eventing demands alot from these horses. I have been involved with top class horses competing in all disciplines for longer than most of you have been on this planet so I am coming from a professional angle. Some years ago there was a saying "every year after 14 is a bonus"! I know times have moved on and people have much more understanding of how to look after older horses etc., but I am still not convinced it is good PR for the sport. Imagine the press if something does go wrong! And, by the way, in personal experience it is not a lovely way for them to die and extremely traumatic for the rider as you always ask yourself whether they should have been there. Please let's stop this now as there seems to be a massive over-reaction to my question.

mtj

Visit site
I would like to think that the presence (sp) of older horses at top level is a testament to modern veterinary care, management and training.

The change in the cover offered by insurance companies also reflects higher expectations of older horses. Have personally been in the "buyers" market recently, I would add that many 14 yr olds + are still demanding high prices. I'm old enough to struggle with the idea of paying much for a horse over 10.

Finally, the Spanish Riding School has to be the ultimate example of the capabilities of a well managed veteran. I'm pretty certain that some of the horses that go on tour are in their twenties.

No one wants to see an older horse being over pushed, but I hate the idea of a rigid competiton retirement age.

Jul

Visit site
(Says in quiet voice) I think 20 is a bit old for a horse to be going to WEG too.

I absolutely hear all the arguments that say age should be no consideration and it depends on the horse, fitness, care etc etc. I am sure the horse is fully capable and I am not for one minute criticising but I'm sorry, I can't help it, there is something in me that won't go away that still thinks that 20 is a bit old for a horse to be competing internationally.

3DE

Visit site
there is something in me that won't go away that still thinks that 20 is a bit old for a horse to be competing internationally.

But why? If the horse is capable and is not getting eliminated (as it would if it weren't able) why retire it?

Think about it - at the end of the day a horse that is 20 nowadays could live to 35/40. If you reached 40 and someone said you were passed it for work would you be happy? Not anthropomorphising here, just trying to find a near fit analogy...

kit279

Visit site
I think it's like people. One of our patients came in and he was 94 and we didn't believe him until he showed us his driving license. He looked about 55 and ran his own building company, worked 48 hours a week and was so on the button you wouldn't have believed it. Equally, I had one today who was 68 and he was a very old 68 - he was unfit and overweight and he looked about 90. Horses for courses. As it turned out, we normally wouldn't recommend a 94 year old for surgery (cut-off is 82) but we did with the first guy as he was in such good nick.

The same is true for horses. If the 20-year old was in superb physical condition, then why not?

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I think it's like people. One of our patients came in and he was 94 and we didn't believe him until he showed us his driving license. He looked about 55 and ran his own building company, worked 48 hours a week and was so on the button you wouldn't have believed it. Equally, I had one today who was 68 and he was a very old 68 - he was unfit and overweight and he looked about 90. Horses for courses. As it turned out, we normally wouldn't recommend a 94 year old for surgery (cut-off is 82) but we did with the first guy as he was in such good nick.

The same is true for horses. If the 20-year old was in superb physical condition, then why not?

I was going to say exactly this. It is impossible to have a one size fits all rule.
I had a TB who had to retire from SJ at 13 due to DJD from being raced as a 2 year old. My sister had a pony (ok so I know ponies last longer but he was 14.2 so not a lot smaller than some horses) and he was still jumping BSJA opens at 32 and winning. Just like people they age at different rates and it all depends on miles on the clock and how hard a life they have. I also think doing too much too soon can shorten a horses competitive life. Lucinda Green said something similar in last weeks horse & hound when mentioning horses like Springalong and Lenamore

Sagittarius

Visit site
I never used the word "horrified".

Very true - you didn't use the word "horrified" it was "shocked", which is equally inflamatory.

Please let's stop this now as there seems to be a massive over-reaction to my question.

Sorry - doesn't work like that. You've made a statement that is questioning the judgement of the horse's rider, owners, normal vet, team vet and all the other people involved. You now have to take the responses that statement provoked.

Putting it on a purely financial basis, the Swedish Federation aren't going to plough thousands of krona into transporting any horse to WEG if they weren't as sure as they could be that the horse was fit to travel and compete.

AandK

Visit site
There almost seems to be a competition developing as to who can take the oldest horse round a 4* and I don't think it is particularly good for the sport.

or how about it is actually good for the sport? showing that these horses are so well looked after and carefully produced that they can still be at the top of their game at 18/19/20..

advances in veterinary techniques and the loss of long format 3DE will mean there will be more and more older horses competing at 4* as the years go on, get used to it. i for one think it can only be a positive thing!

sychnant

Visit site
My 31 year old is doing a fun ride on sunday, ok it's not quite the same thing but she's fit and healthy and if she wasn't, i wouldn't do it. I'm sure top level riders have the same consideration for their horses.

Why can't people trust others to do what's right for their horses??? You might not do it with yours but that doesn't mean it's wrong for all.

CrazyMare

Visit site
My 18 year old is off work with a bruised foot - she is driving me absolutly demented as she is like a bouncing ball. At least when she is in work, she has some of this endless energy worked off, and something to occupy her brain!!!!!

dominobrown

Visit site
or how about it is actually good for the sport? showing that these horses are so well looked after and carefully produced that they can still be at the top of their game at 18/19/20..

advances in veterinary techniques and the loss of long format 3DE will mean there will be more and more older horses competing at 4* as the years go on, get used to it. i for one think it can only be a positive thing!

I agree with this. It is excellent PR as it shows the horses can have a long and successful career at top level.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous and insulting to say the there is a competition to see 'who can the oldest horse round a 4*'. As people have said you know your own horse.

Quadro

Visit site
People and horses are living longer, due to the medical/vet care we now have the average lifespan for horses and humans has increased greatly from 100 years ago (apart from maybe in Scotland ;) ) and this means it is just natural that the competitive lifespan of the horse will be longer.
In 40 years we will probably see horses competiting at 4* regularly at 25 and maybe even 30! Just as alot more of us are reaching 100!!!!

star

Visit site
i think if they dropped dead at least they'd go during what they love. as long as the horse is up for it, then go for it. they wont jump that height if they dont want to.

pipsqueek

Visit site
try telling that to my 19yo:eek: she loves competing still! And with regard to horses competing at WEG level...they would simply not be doing it if they were not enjoying it, i'm sure their riders would know when to call it a day.

Mike007

Visit site
DSCF0573.jpg
Tell Cassidy to retire,you might as well put a gun to his head!Loves his outings ,loves his job. He took A round the Hartpury Tet chamionship,clear. She said the only problem was he kept eyeing up the 2** fences:eek:

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
I team chased a horse into his early 20s, and he was as fit as my P2Pers, yet it was a 10yo that dropped dead underneath me on the gallops. if a horse is tough enough/sound enough to still be competing at 20, then i think it's marvellous!