May be I should just get a bike. (maudling post)

hairycob

Visit site
Bikes don't need livery yards.
You don't need to worry which trees grow near them
If they break you just get them repaired.
They don't buck.
I can't imagine missing an individual bike.

Mongoose11

Visit site
I've been feeling a bit the same lately and not had your terrible time. Been thinking that she is the joy and relaxation in my life when maybe she's actually all the worry?

pottamus

Visit site
As a horse owner and cyclist...bikes...
Hurt when you have to pedal up a hill
Get punctures when you least want them...like in the pouring rain or steep descent
Cost a lot to repair...just spent £400 on my bikes service, parts and new wheels!
They don't buck but they can easily have you off...and at higher speeds you end up missing a few layers of skin!
They need constant cleaning or the gears and chain jam up and cease to work.
I miss cycling terribly when I can't get out for a few days.

So in essence...I could not live without either...however, my horse makes me laugh and feel warm inside...my bike does not give me that.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
How about a motorbike? Horses and motorbikes can both be amazing fun.

Bikes do not have a mind of their own. If the weather is bad you can just leave the bike in the garage. They tend to be more consistent, especially with regard to how easy it is to brake.

However

Bikes do not try to stay upright when they get out of shape (ouch). On a bike you suddenly develop a cloak of invisibility to car drivers even if you are kitted out in hi-vis.

hairycob

Visit site
Thanks for making me smile. H
ad a bad morning & followed a bike home. It's going to take time to work out how we move forward from here.
Phoned a potential livery yard & they have sycamores.
Riding a horse owned by the lady HP is staying with & realised this morning that I just don't have the time he needs & I don't know how to tell her. She has been so kind - offered us a place to take HP & I had never even met her.
On the other hand I'm getting pleasure just walking HP out & looking forward to when we can start little rides out.

STRIKER

Visit site
Oh bless her for helping you in your time of need, but i would say until,you find somewhere i suggest you carry on riding hers as it might seem distasteful if you stopped. Takes your mind off other things, can you ride and lead hp.

hairycob

Visit site
I know, I'm going to carry on and at least my son has tsken on a youngster of hers to bring on which wasn't planned when we moved in. The horse I am riding has huge confidence issues & really needs someone who can take 2 hours just to get round the village if that is what it takes & I am trying to fit it around a full time job, an hour each way commute & looking after H ( though son does his share of that but he is in same boat timewise). I am just shattered which is most of the problem.

Renvers

Visit site
you have had so much to cope with lately it is no surprise you feel shattered. Is there other confidence giving stuff you can do with this horse - groundwork or spookbusting maybe so it is getting educated but not a 2 hour battle, and will make him happier hacking.

It is lovely to hear someone unknown to you has offered help, hear of such generosity so rarely

hairycob

Visit site
Been doing some groundwork with him which wasn't helped by a balloon deciding to land 100 yards away the other weekend! Took me the next week to get him comfortable in the school. Tried to hack out with a friend this morning & he was still really nappy. More ground work then another attempt next weekend.
I am hugely grateful to be taken in for an area with a lot of horses there are very few livery yards & the decent ones never have vacancies. The other option was stay at old yard but not be able to turnout which woukdn't have helped him.

happyclappy

Visit site
stick to the horses. i got a bike yesterday but seems my balance problem means i can't ride anymore. it is power assisted (electric) if you would like to buy it!

Tobiano

Visit site
ohhhh bless you Hairycob.

I am sure the lady would understand if you explain that you are struggling to cope with riding her horse. She sounds lovely to have taken you in and if so she would feel awful if you wore yourself out trying to help.

You and HP have to be your priority right now. xx

hairycob

Visit site
Took him out for a walk in hand this morning & mych better so owner is going to get saddle checked & I am going to carry in hand/ long reining so I can desensitise him to the barky dog & the ninja cyclists without worrying about splatting on the tarmac. Feeling much more positive this morning.

Renvers

Visit site
Took him out for a walk in hand this morning & mych better so owner is going to get saddle checked & I am going to carry in hand/ long reining so I can desensitise him to the barky dog & the ninja cyclists without worrying about splatting on the tarmac. Feeling much more positive this morning.

:D :D that's great sounds like your approach is paying off