may have to have one of the horses put down friday......

amandaco2

Visit site
My beautiful old boy started to walk in an odd way in December, then after a week.of field rest he went lame. It looked like an abscess so I treated it as such for a week, no improvement so I got the vet out.
He found his presentation strange but we treated him as if he had laminitis whilst we waited for mobile xray to be available.
Xrays confirmed a chronic laminitis, nothing much of an acute but we treated him as an acute laminitis. Bloods revealed cushings and ems as well.
He started prascend.
He responded well to 4 weeks box rest, sound off painkillers but still walking very odd behind. Started in hand walking and he was fine except the strange gait. He went out in the field muzzled for an hour daily for five days. Day five acute lame in front.farrier found an abscess which was poulticed and looked like it cleared up.
He was still lame so I got the vet again. I said I was worried about this strange gait behind.
He said it looks like the laminitis flared again in front but sound in hinds. He did neuro exam and thinks its wobblers.
He's having neck xray Friday.
Feeling so stressed :(

We've fought so hard for him, I just cannot believe this is happening to him. He's never once barged or been difficult in stable or leading, he's such a gentle lovely horse.
I couldn't bear it if he fell and hurt himself so I know if the xray is bad I have to have him put down.
Just feeling so distressed....he's a big strong horse 17.2hh so I don't want him distressed being put down, if it comes to this. Will the injection be quick for him? He's very friendly and good with the vets, he's a trusting horse.
:(

Last edited:

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Really sorry to hear this. Horrible thing for you to go through and you've tried so hard to get him right.

Hopefully it won't come to it but I have to say my horse was done with an injection and it was far from the peaceful end I would have expected. The vet warned me what could happen but I was still not prepared for what occurred. I'm not sure if I would hold another horse again because of it as I don't think I could face a captive bolt gun either. I think I would probably say my goodbye and leave, due to what happened.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
Amandaco2 you can hold your head up because you are doing your best for your boy and not thinking of yourself. These things happen, but you are doing the right thing by him.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but regarding PTS, I have personally always preferred a gun used by an experienced slaughterman because it is so quick. However, I understand that vets will tranquillise before the injection, so if you choose that your boy will not be at all distressed. Can you talk it over with your vet before you are at the point of making the decision?

amandaco2

Visit site
I had my eldest horse pts by injection a few weeks before Xmas due to complete obstructive colic, she went v quick.i had no doubts about her, she was in pain, in her 30s and been in the mud in the field with hypothermia.
It was horrific to lose her.
But this horse isn't in pain....he looks well in the stable in himself. Its so hard, I just cant imagine actually having it done, even though I know I may have to.
He's got loads of signs of wobblers.
He could fall and break his leg.
Even if he didnt fall in the immediate future his laminitis and cushings complicates things.he cant live in a stable, it wouldn't be right or fair.
I just cant see a way out for him.
Trying not to panic too much but the hind legs haven't responded to rest, in hand walking, painkillers.....
I'm getting some of his mane and tail today in case.
Already into 2k vet bills but I want to do my best for him.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
But this horse isn't in pain....he looks well in the stable in himself. Its so hard, I just cant imagine actually having it done, even though I know I may have to.

The long and the short of it is that you will take the suffering so that he doesn't have to. I think it is better than something going wrong and you wishing you'd made the call earlier. 'Better a week too soon than a day too late' is a common saying, but all too true.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
. However, I understand that vets will tranquillise before the injection, so if you choose that your boy will not be at all distressed. Can you talk it over with your vet before you are at the point of making the decision?

My horse was tranquillised before injection and she was also dying of EGS at the time - she still reared up and travelled about 20ft backwards before landing on her back almost taking out a window into the surgery. She probably knew nothing about it, who knows. However I do, and it adds to the trauma I feel over the whole thing.

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My thoughts are with you, and I hope x-rays are not as bad as you fear. I hope you can take some comfort knowing you are doing everything possible, and wont see your lovey boy suffer.
I have had a few pts with an injection, and for them thankfully it was a peaceful end. Xx

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
I think the best thing is to find a nice person who will come and do it for you, you really don t want the last picture in your mind to be a body, say bye bye and let the knackerman put him down. He could probably have a bit of something to knock the edge off him if it makes you feel happier.
Pay a bit extra for him to be first of the day and the man to wear all clean clothes [give him a tenner if he seems especially kind.
So sorry, but it seems the time has come..........

Last edited:

Merrymoles

Visit site
I have seen at least ten horses PTS by injection, including one of my own with a twisted gut, and in every case it was quick and peaceful so I hope that can reassure you a bit. Horrible decision to have to make and am thinking of you.

amandaco2

Visit site
The vet who pts my old girl was lovely, he's the vet looking after tho boy. Just cannot believe I've gone from 4 healthy horses in work to possibly 2 :( in 4 months.....
I don't want my boy in pain, id never forgive myself if I had his xray and confirmed wobblers , i kept him going and he fell and broke his leg or something.
So I know I've no choice for him if the xray is bad.....

alliwantforchristmas

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your situation ...

just to say, wobblers isn't an automatic death sentence - although I appreciate your boy has complicating factors. I have a horse with wobblers, had him from a rescue centre, he's 14 now, walks, trots and canters round the field, can hold his feet up for the farrier. Just has an odd gait, and obviously can't be ridden. So wait and see what the x ray says, and look at how he is coping.

I've lost 3 old ones in the last 18 months - 2 by gun and one by injection, I stayed with them all, they all went quickly and peacefully. The vast majority of pts goes without incident, obviously there are some very unfortunate passings as well - but don't stress yourself out about it unnecessarily. It is very likely to go absolutely according to plan. We also had two old cows pts with gun and they honestly didn't know a thing about it - they went with their mouths full of food! I've held an old horse for someone else with injection and that went fine as well. With the gun, I just turn away while the shot is fired, and then go back to the horse immediately afterwards and wait until we know they are fully gone.

thinking of you at this sad and worrying time x

amandaco2

Visit site
My horse was tranquillised before injection and she was also dying of EGS at the time - she still reared up and travelled about 20ft backwards before landing on her back almost taking out a window into the surgery. She probably knew nothing about it, who knows. However I do, and it adds to the trauma I feel over the whole thing.

So sorry, that must have been so dreadful to go through :( x

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
One of our old ladies showed similar symptoms to your boy, about four years ago now. We thought abcess, then other foot problem, but in the end we and the vet, suspected a tumour or leison in/on her spine and called it for her. She was the matriach of the herd, retired, 30+, and our Dads last driving horse (he was 84 at the time and didn't get another). She deserved to not suffer and so we made the decision. We got the local knacker service out and they were brilliant with her, her end was with her head in a bucket, in the place she had lived for most of her life, with her herd and family in sight. It is always sad, but it is the last kindness we can provide for our equine family members.
Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will do the best for your horse, which in the long term is also the best for you. Thoughts are with you.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I really hope it doesn't come to it.

The method you choose is an incredibly personal decision and unfortunately only you can make that choice. We can all share our experiences - good and bad - but every situation is unique and nobody can tell which way it will go in either scenario. My reason for choosing the injection if and when the time comes (my boy is grey and I don't want to see his beautiful face with blood over it, not even a few drops) is one that very few others will have for making the same choice. There's no right or wrong, just what you want.

For what it's worth, I've seen two go with the injection and both were very peaceful - my friend's youngster who was sedated and my old boy who was already down with colic so just went to sleep with his head in my lap. Others haven't had such positive experiences (if positive is ever the right word) but likewise I know of at least one horror story with the gun.

With either method I would sedate first every time. It should make it much less stressful for all involved.

Will be thinking of you on Friday.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Really sorry to hear this. I have had a horse pts by injection recently, it was all very calm and peaceful. As said by others, the secret is to have them heavily sedated first. It appears that not all vets do this, though, so do check beforehand.

I was surprised to hear that none of the vets at my Equine practice (a big one) use the gun any more. The lovely young lady vet who dealt with my chap (and who knew him well), said she'd seen several examples of a pts by gun going wrong when she was a student, and she said its not the sort of thing you can ever forget.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Very sorry for your circumstances! I personally would always go for the bullet as I have seen horses fight the injection, and that is a sight that will never leave me.

Just a little thought, my boy was diagnosed with wobblers when he was a 2yo, he is now 8yo and has never has any sign, symptom or problem since and is in full ridden work. (He's 17.3hh) so there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
So sorry OP. Nothing worse than not knowing and waiting to find out. Friday should give you some answers and peace either way.
I personally prefer a gun as its completely instant. The last guy i used was so kind and quiet with my poor horse and i instantly felt as ease with him. I would not only use a vet if i felt it necessary ( we lost one to Uvietis and with his sight problems he'd have been terrified with an unknown man holding something to his head but was very at home with the vet so i chose the injection for him)
There is no right or wrong way, I will be thinking of you Friday xx

amandaco2

Visit site
Very sorry for your circumstances! I personally would always go for the bullet as I have seen horses fight the injection, and that is a sight that will never leave me.

Just a little thought, my boy was diagnosed with wobblers when he was a 2yo, he is now 8yo and has never has any sign, symptom or problem since and is in full ridden work. (He's 17.3hh) so there may be some light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you.
My vet has been wracking his brains to see if there is any other reason. I will know more once the xrays are done.
Sadly he's in his 20s and cushings plus laminitis all occurred in the past few months, so he is rather complicated by his other issues.
He's worked hard all his life,done psg dressage, hacking for complete novice. He is a gem and I hoped to give him a nice retirement.
I looked up the scales for rating wobblers, hd is a 3 or possibly a bit more out of five. He is very ataxic behind, I think he can manage as well as gd does because he is a very calm, clever horse who has had a lot of balance training. He's walking as if in half pass most the time

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My beautiful old boy started to walk in an odd way in December, then after a week.of field rest he went lame. It looked like an abscess so I treated it as such for a week, no improvement so I got the vet out.
He found his presentation strange but we treated him as if he had laminitis whilst we waited for mobile xray to be available.
Xrays confirmed a chronic laminitis, nothing much of an acute but we treated him as an acute laminitis. Bloods revealed cushings and ems as well.
He started prascend.
He responded well to 4 weeks box rest, sound off painkillers but still walking very odd behind. Started in hand walking and he was fine except the strange gait. He went out in the field muzzled for an hour daily for five days. Day five acute lame in front.farrier found an abscess which was poulticed and looked like it cleared up.
He was still lame so I got the vet again. I said I was worried about this strange gait behind.
He said it looks like the laminitis flared again in front but sound in hinds. He did neuro exam and thinks its wobblers.
He's having neck xray Friday.
Feeling so stressed :(

We've fought so hard for him, I just cannot believe this is happening to him. He's never once barged or been difficult in stable or leading, he's such a gentle lovely horse.
I couldn't bear it if he fell and hurt himself so I know if the xray is bad I have to have him put down.
Just feeling so distressed....he's a big strong horse 17.2hh so I don't want him distressed being put down, if it comes to this. Will the injection be quick for him? He's very friendly and good with the vets, he's a trusting horse.

Good luck with the vets. I hope the Xray is not as bad as it could be.

My horse, Jay, had a minor lameness, and so was rested. For some reason the rest brought on wobblers, and his neuro exam was not promising. We were set to PTS there and then, as we were at the major Vet Hosp, but the vet said to X ray to confirm, even though the symptoms were pretty clear. His X ray was not bad at all, so he was reprieved, as the vet thought the symptoms may have been brought on with inflammation, and put on some steroids. He also started lunge work to get his back lifted and working again, and after a few weeks he was symptom free. He has remained so for the last 2 months, still being lunged a few times a week, and I have ridden a couple of times in the school.

I am not sure if steroids would be possible with your horse with his other issues, but I thought you may like to know that wobbler symptoms is sometimes brought on by an acute inflammation (possibly due to the horse not carrying himself as usual) and not always irreparable bone changes.

Jay was ataxic front and rear, at one point bad enough that a strong wind was almost throwing him off balance, he was getting his legs into a tangle as he really did not seem able to recognise where they were. Now he looks fine. The latest vet exam puts him as "normal" neurologically.

If the X ray is not good then the injection is usually calm and as dignified as dropping a horse can be. It helps if they are not "hyper" when injected, but if he is being seen at a vet hosp then I am sure they will run you through everything.

Last edited:

amandaco2

Visit site
Thank you for all your kindness, its a horrible time. Sadly I cannot rid steroids due to his laminitis :(
I just hope the danilon may bring some improvement for him and the xray is ok, so I can see if he will improve with more antiinflammatory treatment... :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We had a 31yr old cob mare who presented very similarly to your horse, we faffed around with x-rays, poulticing etc, she was on restricted individual turnout for about 6 weeks with innumerable vet and farrier visits in deep snow. Eventually a spinal tumour was diagnosed and we pts. Our preference was to have her shot, which happened at home, where she knew nothing about it, except that she got an unexpected meal in the middle of the day.. The vet gave her a massive dose of extremely effective painkiller, so at least her last couple of hours were comfortable. If we had known the diagnosis, we have pts 6 weeks earlier.
I am sorry your horse has this problem but think you have made the right decision.

kellyledmonds

Visit site
Amandaco2, firstly my heart felt sympathies to you. I had my 17hh WB pts last July, he was a big lad but so gentle. I had huge issues deciding between injection v gun. I spoke to a number of vets, at length, luckily I'm a vet nurse and work for the practice I use. My concern was that it would be violent, traumatic and my boy would know what was happening. All vets assured me that by the time my horse started to fall he would have been clinically dead for a few seconds, they just don't fall unless they are deceased, clinical trials have been carried out etc. He appeared to take a long time to drop, but he had a sedative which slows everything down, he went with dignity and just appeared to be laying down for a roll. I can hand on heart say that I believe he knew nothing about it. Please don't leave him, he will wonder why your handing him over and will be more comfortable with you present, keep a rug so you can cover him up, you will feel pretty protective over him I'm sure. I hope that it does not come to this horrendous decision for you and wish you and your boy all the best.

L&M

Visit site
Before you make a decision, please, please speak to your vet re his level of prascend.

Our oldie had a bout of lami, tested positive for cushings, but reacted badly to the prascend. One of the lesser known side affects is that it can make them ataxic.

We dropped his level of prascend for 1 tablet a day to 1/2 and within 48 hrs he was moving normally again. After a few mnths of being in his system, we increased it without a problem.

Like you I was on the verge of pts, but got a second opinion from another vet, who told me about this side affect.

whizzer

Visit site
I had one PTS by injection a couple of months ago,he had some analgesia/sedation 1st as he had a fracture,then the euthanasia was fairly quick after that. I felt it was as peaceful & quick as it could be. It did shock me a bit after he went down on his side he then rolled on his back with his legs in the air, someone has told me since that they often do that. I'd have one injected again as shooting just seems so brutal to me.

amandaco2

Visit site
His hind hooves had 1 (the left) with very mild lamanitic changes, nothing much acute. He is 100% sound on his hind legs.
The ataxia and crooked gait started a month before he went on prascend but I will mention all this to the vet. I started him on half tablet and increased to 1 after 10 days as I needed to get any laminitis controlled asap.
He has lots of sole and very good looking hooves on xray and visually.
Perhaps nerve block the left hind (he stands/leans on the right hibd) so I've ruled out discomfort causing this strange gait.

applecart14

Visit site

I do hope it isn't wobblers, have they tested for EHV as this can also cause the ataxic symptoms your horse is displaying?

My 10 year old WB had wobblers. He fell onto his neck damaging his vetebrae, he was eventually diagnosed with CVM/Wobblers at Liverpool following a false diagnosis of EHV. He was pts after extensive neck xrays revealed compression at C3, C4 and C6 (C6 is worst possible outcome). I was very concerned about him falling and not being able to get up, i had visions of finding him in a puddle of mud in the field at the yard having lain there all night. I asked if he could stay as a field ornament as I loved him so very much but the consultant was worried about the danger of him falling on someone when they led him.

They would not let me be present in the padded PTS box as they felt that he was too dangerous as they had no way of anticipating which way he would fall as he was Grade 3 touching Grade 4 which is very badly affected horse. So I said my goodbyes outside and then led him into the box and then left him.

There is no reason to think the injection will distress your horse, they are unconcious before they even touch the ground, its just the danger element that may be a factor on whether you are able to be present or not for the reasons described above.

You should also know that in 2004 the vets I was using at the time who misdiagnosed my horse brought a portable xray machine to the yard and xrayed his neck. This gave a false reading. At Liverpool when I asked why the original xrays my vet had performed had not shown the damage to the vetebrae I was told that portable xray machines will sometimes give a false reading as the neck is made of very thick muscles (particuarly in a wobblers horse as they are very strong through their necks - or mine was anyway). This is what happened to me. I am not sure if portable xray machines have come on any since then. It might be worth asking your vet if this is a possibility. Maybe if it is the horse can be stabilised and then reffered to a large equine hospital where they are able to do stand up xrays with a large machine. My horse was given finadyne for about three days before he was stable enough to travel to Liverpool on a hired lorry. I was scared of the repercussions if he went down on the journey in my trailer.

I will be thinking of you on Friday, and I will say a little prayer for you as I know what a distressing time you must be having of it, it was the worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can help further. Anne x

Last edited: