Maybe a post for Andypandy...?

springfallstud

sfs-stud.com
Yes you dont scan a bitch til 5 weeks (by then i normally can tell she is in whelp myself so dont scan my bitches, not like you can short cycle them
smile.gif
) when you think of the rate her pups grow compared to a foal they are already quite large so easy for the scanner to pick up. With a mare it is important to know early on if she has taken so the next plan of action can be arranged.

Damien

Visit site
if you type in reprodcutive organs dogs, horses, cattle etc to google you can see where the reprodcutive organs are located in each animal. With bitches they do scan externally but they they can't ever seem to say exactly how many they will have only an estimate, locating some heartbeats.

severnmiles

Visit site
Hmm...found out what a waste of time scanning a bitch is earlier this week - see my post in Dogs forum!

I can understand it with cows, they have such thick skin but I guess horses are very deep bodied aren't they.

Dairy farm down the road doesn't even scan!

AndyPandy

Visit site
Looks like you didn't need me at all
smile.gif

Seeing deep into the body with sonography is very difficult. Some acoustic energy is lost every time an echo is formed, but most of it is lost from acoustic absorption.

It's not just a case of increasing frequency as increases in depth of imaging lead to decreases in clarity of the image, so for mares and cows - it's got to be internal!

AndyPandy

Visit site
A couple of the companies that make them have been trying to get me to test them and write testimonials for them.

They're a nice idea. However, they are based on 30 year old technology. The ones that I have tried have given pretty poor results. Stallions and geldings were pregnant according to the external scanner, and mares that were confirmed by ultrasound were not pregnant according to the machine.

It was very difficult to use, and I honestly can't see how it could possible be "98%" accurate, which is what they state.

Maybe I just had a dodgy machine to test though!
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
"Stallions and geldings were pregnant according to the external scanner"

Thats novel...can you come and scan Ernie quickly...wow think of how much my pregnant gelding would be worth... Sorry
blush.gif
grin.gif