Maybe I spoke too soon.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My little boy is struggling again. Maybe worse than at the start.
We stopped the gabapentin Sunday morning and I really thought we were doing ok. Today it’s very evident not.
Ive been sending as requested video clip updates to his vet and so sent another this morning, normally they would call me in the morning but nothing today. So I’ve called and it seems the clip is still in my outbox ?‍♀️
Sadly his vet is off this week but there is another fantastic guy there who is in duty today and knows Doug quite well so I’m waiting for him to call me back and either give more gabapentin so we can get him comfy until his vet returns to work or will see him this afternoon. Either way something needs doing this afternoon :(

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thank you.
We have had quite a long chat on the phone. It’s not the very easiest as he has a strong accent. He’s a really crazy little man and he and Dougal get on like a house on fire so that nice. He’s always responded better to people who don’t try and be gentle with him!
As I understand I have a few options, a referral for a CT scan. I’ve discussed this with the first vet and really we both decided it wasn’t the way to go. Apart from the expense he said his honest opinion was it wouldn’t show anything they can fix.
Maybe look at long term gabapentin or call it a day.
We have an appointment at 4.45 because I don’t want to just go get more pills without them seeing him at least and I want an honest opinion on the whole thing.
OH is still being a complete and utter prat about the situation.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is difficult when you are not both on the same page but my 89 yr old aunt takes daily gabapentin and apart from the pain relief it doesn't seem to affect her. I know 2 other, much younger people who have taken gabapentin after injury and then stopped taking it eventually. One said it made it difficult to get going in the morning, the other hoped it would help her sleep but it didn't.
My own view about pain relief for animals is that if it helps to promote quality of life and doesn't have deleterious side effects, there is nothing wrong in giving it. I hope the appointment goes well.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He walked into the vets! The vet said on initial impression he looked better than last time ?‍♀️ I mean it was great but I am glad I sent the video so they saw the reality of the day.
Again, all reactions are good. He has lost muscle in his back legs but I guess that’s to be expected.
So, as I knew the 3 options were the only 3.
We have come home with gabapentin again, the vet said that not all dogs suffer the weak hind limb side effects and tbh at this stage it’s all that’s left for him, and we already know it helps a lot and he’s happy taking them so it seems silly not to give it a try.
I think last time they kicked in pretty quickly.
He explained they don’t know exactly why or how the drug works (then showed me his drug directory which backed up this statement!) but it does work, he also (along with vet 1) is pretty adamant there is no physical pain but that the gabapentin is acting as an anti inflammatory in his brain/cerebral nerve and that he’s still a happy little dog.
He did say all this is a symptom of a bigger issue and that without knowing what we can’t really predict where this is going.
So he continues to be spoilt rotten, cuddled lots and allowed to wee in my hay shed (a big no no ?) he can wee where the hell he wants right now tbh as long as he’s ok ❤️

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
Didn't see this until now, my heart sank when I saw the title. Relieved to read that he's home again, I hope the gabapentin helps as quickly as the last time.
So typical for some of them to be so bad at home, but totally different once you get to the veterinarians.
{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}}, and {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My elderly aunt who takes gabapentin had her leg amputated above the knee, it works to stop the pain from the leg that isn't there, so that fits with what your vet said. I'm glad he is fine for now.
It’s just so strange isn’t it. We have a friend who takes it for a similar reason. He’s an above knee amputee but takes it for intense foot pain ?‍♀️ He said it’s the worst pain he’s felt.
Id forgotten that.
He is starting to pick up again now. He’s just been out with me to finish the horses and although he didn’t make it over to the yard he came across the garden and waited then came and stole rabbit carrots which I “accidentally” left on the floor. Our other idiot lab does keep knocking him over which, I was going to say doesn’t help but In all honesty he doesn’t seem to care, it’s me that has heart failure at it. He just gets up and carry’s on.
Thank you all ever so much as usual for your support and love for him! Xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Also, interestingly in a horrible way I’ve had to start feeding them separately as his brother has started going for him at food time. They have eaten side by side for 6 years.
I was horrified and just stunned at first as they both have the same sweet temperament in general so it was a shock.

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
How they think/react to weakness in the other dogs/cats in the family is definitely not always something I understand.

The latest odd reaction that has happened among mine was last Autumn. I could be wrong, but I think it was one of either Blomma, or Beata, that peed a few times in my bed, and my mum's bed. First two, three times was when Berta the Cornish Rex cat was living her last weeks with cancer, before we euthanised her. Then it happened again three, four times when Jonna got so ill some weeks later, and I thought I would have to euthanise her, too. But the veterinarian could only find that it seemed as if she had a boil somewhere in her body. With rest, and some special food, Jonna's body managed to take care of it herself (with her old liver, they didn't want to give medication for something unspecified they could only see hints of in a blood sample).

When nobody no longer seemed to be knocking on death's door in the household, the bed peeing stopped.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
How they think, react to weakness in the other dogs/cats in the family is definitely not always something I understand.

The latest odd reaction that has happened among mine was last Autumn. I could be wrong, but I think it was one of either Blomma, or Beata, that peed a few times in my bed, and my mum's bed. First two, three times was when Berta the Cornish Rex cat was living her last weeks with cancer, before we euthanised her. Then it happened again three, four times when Jonna got so ill some weeks later, and I thought I would have to euthanise her, too. But the veterinarian could only find that it seemed as if she had a boil somewhere in her body. With rest, and some special food, Jonna's body managed to take care of it herself (with her old liver, they didn't want to give medication for something unspecified they could only see hints of in a blood sample).

When nobody no longer seemed to be knocking on death's door in the household, the bed peeing stopped.
So weird isn’t it. I do understand. In the wild the weakest are a danger to the pack. It’s just a bit stunning when your beloved pets revert to it.
Your another poster who’s dog opinions I value.

Supertrooper

Visit site
For a human point of view I take ten 300mg Gabapentin a day, wasn’t on that dose initially and yes I was a bit spaced out on them at the start but your body definitely adapts to them and although for me they don’t totally stop my pain all of the time (even with two other pain meds) I wouldn’t function without them

Hope they help your boy xx

poiuytrewq

Visit site
For a human point of view I take ten 300mg Gabapentin a day, wasn’t on that dose initially and yes I was a bit spaced out on them at the start but your body definitely adapts to them and although for me they don’t totally stop my pain all of the time (even with two other pain meds) I wouldn’t function without them

Hope they help your boy xx
Thankyou. Can I ask if your pain is real as in, I’m not even sure if I know what I’m asking!, but if you read Pearlsasingers post and my reply about people who don’t have those parts to hurt. I’m just a bit confused as to what he’s feeling

FinnishLapphund

Visit site
Since I think you've mentioned being worried about your boy being in pain @poiuytrewq , I just wanted to say that as I understand it, gabapentin is usually used for certain seizure disorders, and for when nerves become overreactive, overirritable towards pain. I don't know if seizures disorders involves pain or not, however, I've also read that it can be prescribed to e.g. menopausal women who experience severe problems with hot flashes, and people with persistent hiccups. I don't think either of the two later involves any pain, without to me seems to be more about nerves misbehaving.