measuring bone, what is classed as hw? growth?

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
what is classed as a hw, or even a lot of bone? Ive never really measured bone before but my new irish boy is 5years old, 14.1hh 1/2, has a chunky body but not huge.. looks like a bit of connie in there espec about the head - but his legs are like tree trunks! 10 inches at the front and 11.5inches at the back. He’s irish cob ‘type’ for sure but wondering also if having such chunky legs is any indication that he still has a good bit of growth in him?

Kezzabell2

Visit site
To be fair, I dont even know what bones you means to find this out? If you could tell that would be good? haha

My horse is a connie x tb and he has the widest legs on the yard, even bigger than the cob in the next door field! my boy is so chunky, I'd love to know which part of the leg to measure to be able to compare

PorkChop

Visit site
He sounds lovely - I would class him as a heavy weight, just :)

I had what I classed as a heavy weight, an ID mare and she had nearly 11 inches on her front legs.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Over 9" of bone on front legs measured below the knee is a heavyweight.

That can be misleading though, there is a big difference between quality bone and common bone. A horse can have loads of bone but be so badly conformed he will not be able to carry weight all day in the hunting field.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
That can be misleading though, there is a big difference between quality bone and common bone. A horse can have loads of bone but be so badly conformed he will not be able to carry weight all day in the hunting field.

Agree it should be good flat bone.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Or not use boots at all, a balanced, schooled cob with a correct foot balance will not need boots. Cobs often have itchy legs and boots will make that worse.

NiceNeverNaughty

Visit site
Or not use boots at all, a balanced, schooled cob with a correct foot balance will not need boots. Cobs often have itchy legs and boots will make that worse.

Yes I’m aware of that however I would personally never go xc without leg protection of some sort, espec as his are clipped out.

Fiona

Visit site
Abbijay is right OP.. Woof wear are great at boots for bigger legs :)

I'm going to try their event boots as soon as local saddlers get them in..

Nothing else fits though :(

Fiona

Feathered

Visit site
Try the big horse shop, I think that's what they are called, they do rugs and boots for the more fuller figure. They do massive over reach boots and other boots.

Most large sizes in the usual makes don't have a hope of reaching round my cobs legs.