Measuring land online accuracy

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I went to look at a field to rent (sole use) today advertised at 2.5 acres. I wasn't convinced when I saw it that it was that big so came home and measured it on Magic.gov.uk. It's a little tricky as the field boundaries are new and not showing on the map, so I'm having to work off what I can remember, but even with a generous boundary I'm measuring it as 1.8 acres. Does anyone know how accurate Magic is? Or of any other sites I could use to compare the measurements?

Sadly I suspect it is accurate as I have a friend with a half acre field and the two fields being advertised as an acre each didn't look any bigger than that. I reckon fields must be like 14.2 ponies that are never that height when you go and view!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
A reputable land agent would be able to accurately measure for you.

As a side note, a field not far from my yard went on the market 2 years ago as a 4 acre plot.
It's always been a 2.8 acre field. .... it still sold for 130k despite having a double shed that could be a field shelter and no water laid on. Its also v boggy in winter...... there is still ongoing wrangling between new owner and her legal rep as it's not as advertised. ......
its green belt and not ever likely to get planning for building in a zillion yrs as also in an sssi area. Madness!

case895

Visit site
Google Earth is very precise, but it is not necessarily accurate. The 2 problems with it and any tool are:
1. how accurately can you define the borders? Fences are easy, hedges difficult.
2. how accurately you position the cursor. I always repeat measurements 5 times and take an average.

teapot

Visit site
For an inaccurate answer: if you've got the OS map app and map for the area, find it and plot a route round the perimeter. Then do some maths.

For an accurate answer: a reputable rural/land agent firm would be the best bet.

Could also buy the maps/plans via the Land registry.

Art Nouveau

Visit site
I'll try daftlogic too and compare results. I did feel when I saw it that it wasn't 2.5 so not surprised it didn't measure that big either, just hoping it was my eyes deceiving me!
Land registry isn't up to date as it still shows part of the land belonging to someone else unfortunately.

What would a land agent do differently? Years ago I did work experience at some land agents, and my uni degree was related to that too. We used Magic then which is how I know about it. The land is on a slope but not enough to make a difference I think. Ah well.

teapot

Visit site
RTE is the best person to ask on here for land stuff.

(am on work exp at the mo in that profession and they were considering going out to measure something with similar boundary issues)

Last edited:

case895

Visit site
Your other option is to use GPS to get a 10 figure OS grid reference of the corners. You can then work out the area using trigonometry.

JillA

Visit site
HM Land Registry plans don't show acres/hectares unless they are shown on the base (O.S.) map, and for much of the time a registration will only include part of a parcel. You can buy OS maps on line but they aren't cheap

Art Nouveau

Visit site
Thanks for all the ideas :) I'll use a GPS tracker to help with measuring boundaries next time, as well as all the different online tools available. I'm not taking this land since, as well as being under the advertised size, it was very wet with a spring and stream in it which obviously makes the smaller size harder to manage.

popsdosh

Visit site
I have an app on my phone you just walk the perimeter ( you can put in an offset if you cannot walk it exactly) it will then give you an accurate area enclosed by the boundary it will then transfer onto google earth if you wish.
However it is a paid for app we find it very useful ,if its a big field you can drive round.

Dont forget most areas quoted may include hedges and areas outside fences for example verges up to roadsides they soon add up. The smaller the field the proportion useable is a lot less.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Not sure how accurate measuring land is online.
I use a difference one but does the same thing.

But people will exaggerate the size of land!
I looked at some land that was apparently 7 acres, it's looked half that.
I checked online and yes, it's said about 3.5 acres.
I asked the owner but he said it was 7 acre.
Either he was a liar or the person that had sold it to him 2 years ago had lied!