Measuring saddle fit with wither tracing

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Just wanted to know if you can get a sensible idea about saddle fit by using a flexi curve to do a wither tracing and comparing it to the tree angle of the saddle by using the flexicurve to measure the piping on the saddle.

My two measurements don't seem to correspond at all and want to make sure I'm doing it right!!

Regandal

Visit site
My fitter did this to demonstrate to me that the saddle I fancied would not suit my horse (there was one on the yard). Bitterly dissapointed! !

be positive

Visit site
That saddle looks far narrower than your horse was in the photo you recently posted, from memory it was more like your measurement in the drawing, the saddle appears to be on the narrow side of medium at an educated guess, your horse looked to be at the very least a wide.

Wheels

Visit site
Looking back at your photos from when you were asking for suggestions your wither tracing looks very different on the photo you posted today than it did on the previous photo you posted. I'm thinking that the templates were taken from a different place.

I think ultimately if you are not happy you should ask the fitter to come back and explain to you why they chose this particular saddle.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
why are you tracing the piping? that bit isn't on the horse? When working from tracings to select for fit I have always cut out the horse's tracing and checked it fits where the saddle fits on the horse under the panels.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
It's only mm out when comparing both tracings I did of the horse. Needless to say the saddle measurement looks considerably narrower than the horse! It felt incredibly tight when hacking in it today and my horse kept stopping and trying to turn round to go home which he has never done before. It is a brand new saddle and I do not want to buy a saddle which doesn't fit. Luckily they come with a 2 week trial so I am trying to ascertain whether it is me making a mistake or whether it genuinely doesn't fit the horse. I am inclined to believe it is too narrow for him and needs returning.

be positive

Visit site
That saddle will not fit your horse, sorry but whoever thinks it will needs to go to specsavers, I have several natives here and not one would be narrow enough to wear that, having recently fitted them with new saddles I have looked at a lot and would not even be trying that one on the horse in the photos on your recent thread who would be a similar width and type.
I think your horse is telling you he is not happy and he is the best critic.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...-for-horse-with-big-shoulders-amp-barrel-body

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
There is no way that saddle will fit your horse. It looks to be a medium width and your horse looks to be a wide. I measure the wither tracing against the line of the saddle panels to get a better idea.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Ah just found the comparison, so yes, given that the piping will stand wider than where the panel contacts the horse I think I would say that saddle hasn't a hope in hell of fitting that horse!

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
In answer to your question OP about it fitting here:
If you need to check the angle of the saddle tree to the horse's profile to give you some idea if it might actually fit or not then place the saddle in question flat on a table with the front of the saddle over hanging off the table by a few inches and facing you. You might need a helper to hold the saddle in place and not fall off onto the floor.
Now, look down the front of the saddle in to the gullet area. Try lifting the flaps up one at a time to see where the saddle tree's point is (end of the point of the tree), it sits in the point pocket. Offer the template up making sure you have the nearside and the offside the right way round up under the saddle and in to the gullet area which is where your horse's wither and shoulder would go. If the panel and points are equi distant/parallel to the template all is good and the saddle corresponds to the shape of your horse. If the ends of the points are pressing in towards the template then the saddle could be too narrow, if the points are falling away from the template and the top of the template where the wither is on your horse and is pressing against the underneath of the top of the saddle head then the saddle could be too wide.
This is only a rough guide and doesn't take in to account if the panel is under or over flocked which can also alter the fit.
Oz

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Agree with cremedemonthe, you can't tell saddle tree angle from the piping. The ideal is to cut out your horse's template on cardboard, not corrugated but thick solid cardboard, then you hold it up at the front of the saddle and see if you can feel if the angles match those of the tree. There AREN'T easy ways to check these things which is why it takes feel and experience, though you can also simply look at a girthed up saddle from the front, if you have it (obviously not the case when deciding whether to buy a used one) and simply look at the tree point pockets and see if they are roughly parallel to the ribcage underneath. The saddle MUST be in the right place for this, the majority of saddles are put on too far forwards and you won't be looking at the right part of the horse's body.