meat man sending a horse back because its too skinny?

sj_mad

Visit site
A friend of mine got a phonecall lastnight to ask if she knew anyone that would take a 2yr old trotter for £100 it has no rugs on and is very underweight and malnourished, they reckoned that the meat man sent it back because it was so skinny??? That sounds very fishy to me...

tuppence's fortune

Visit site
Maybe they have to be in reasonable health for meatman ?Ive never sent one there sorry

no most of the meat men i have met in my life really dont care! i dont want to go into 2 much detail as it is a horrible subject but they use pretty much everything of the horse! meat men normally end up with the skinny half dead horses from our local sales. you can sell to the meat man yourselves though (i dont know why you would but you can) as long as they are not diseased infectiously or will affect the "product" they will take it. also if you ever try and buy something off the meat man (alive not dead) he will charge as much as he can for it. eg (which i have told people aboiut in other posts)... there was a shetland at a sales which was skin, bone and couldnt even carry his head, meat man bought him for £15!!!!!! and i looked at the poor little thing i knew i had to have him. i paid the meat man £280!!! i no i no shouldnt have and im an idiot. i probably am. we got him home and our vet said not to expect him to be here in the morning! anyway 4 years later he is a fat little monster! he has bow legs from the mal-nutrition but he is very happy and can still gallop (even though the vet told us he would probs never be able to trot!) and he has a little friend to keep him company. it was the best decicion i ever made even though he has probs cost me upwards of £2000 to get right.

meat men do not care what cond they are in. i think the poor horse needs either a good home or (might get stick for this bit) if in very very poor con it might be in its best interest to put the poor thing down :( especially with weather like this i am surprised the poor darling is still alive
i would love to give it a home but i have just broken my leg so it would be too much for me to cope with atm :(:(:(

feel so sorry for it x
sorry for long rant x

spaniel

Visit site
A friend of mine got a phonecall lastnight to ask if she knew anyone that would take a 2yr old trotter for £100 it has no rugs on and is very underweight and malnourished, they reckoned that the meat man sent it back because it was so skinny??? That sounds very fishy to me...

This is the latest tug on heartstrings ploy is it? £20 worth of bin end horse being offered for £100 rather than taking it to slaughter and having to produce paperwork that probably doesnt exist.

Run a mile.

tuppence's fortune

Visit site
i have to agree to a certain extent. i wouldnt recommend buying this horse in this weather or at all if you are not aware of the time and money and ALOT of hard work it will take to get it back to a reasonable condition (if at all) and even if it makes a full recovery there is no dead cert it will be rideable or anything as the damage may have already been done x
such a shame

thatsmygirl

Visit site
Iv taken a horse before in a very bad state and ended up being a darling after a couple off years working through her problems. I wouldn't write the horse off just yet. A good home and tlc and could be a nice horse you never know

Allover

Visit site
Maybe we could start a Nativetyponies fund for all the waifs and strays that go through your door, go on have him :D