(medical) any good remedies for chilblains?

Visit site
or 'Equestrian Perniosis'?

My upper thighs are covered in these bloody things and not only are they completely unsightly, they hurt, ache & itch...magnificently all at the same time :/

I'm layered up like an onion, with steroid cream to reduce the inflammation/itching but other than that, all I want to do is rip my legs off :(

I've heard baggy layers are the trick, yet being 77 miles from home with only my horsey wardrobe to accompany me, ive only really got jods and leggins...this is the first time ive acquired these beautiful things, so it was incredibly unexpected...

any advice would be great :)
thank you all in advance

Visit site
thanks for the suggestions guys!
il be running to my local pharmacy at this rate!

mandwhy - i did some self diagnosis (naughty, i know) and after further investigation realized they are in fact equestrian perniosis...which are worse :/ do not recommend googling that!

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
You have my sympathies I used to get these on my knees and ears every winter, have not heard of the snowfire balm so hope it works, please report back :)

Maisy

Visit site
I had them a few years ago....I thought I was dying or something because they were so unsightly and I had never had them in *many* years of riding.....

However, I now wear either mountain horse over trousers (very warm but very bulky) or Rambo fleecy chaps whenever it is vaguely cold and I am going to be outside for any length of time....

Visit site
this is the thing, im 18 (still a wee pup, i know) but ive been out with horses every winter since i can remember and i've never had these...not even last year in the -17 we had. its total madness!
today i had on 2 thermal bottoms, jods, 2 pairs of socks, a big coat, hoodie, polo, long sleeved top and a tank top as well as gloves...

and still...my legs look like ive been shot with gravel :(

samsbilly

Visit site
If they are really bad a trip to the doctor may be called for there are medicinal things that can be prescribed to help get rid of them and be used preventatively to stop them coming back x

showjumpingfilly

Visit site
So glad you've done this thread as was thinking of doing it myself!!

I had never had them, then a couple of years ago I got them on my little toes, and then the following year my thighs.

My toes are currently the size of my big toe and BRIGHT red :-( they are so sore, yet i have had them in 2 pairs of fluffy slippers all day? Balmosa cream can help the itchy a bit.

My thighs used to go black when i showered. Haven't got them there yet this winter but waiting for it.

Will also look into the snowfire stuff, they are so so painful sometimes I can't walk as it hurts to have shoes on.

Doctors were useless.