Meet Digby the rescue from Cyprus

MarvelVillis

Visit site
We sadly lost our spaniel George very suddenly just before Christmas. He went downhill very suddenly, and a biopsy confirmed it was lymphoma. He was only 5 :(

We mentioned we'd like to get another dog at some point as company for our Dachshund (she was besotted with George). I was scrolling on Facebook last week and my friend shared a post of a dog in Cyprus looking for a new home. I felt like it was meant to be, me and my partner fell in love with him instantly. We enquired but didn't hold out much hope as he had lots of enquiries on the post, but luckily we were chosen! He's flying over at the end of Jan. We don't know much about him as he was a stray, but they believe he's young, about 1, and I think he looks like a lab x JR cross. Looking forward to bringing him home and spoiling him. Hoping I can morph him into a yard dog as there's no chance with my daxie :D

1.jpg
2.jpg

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry to hear about George.
As Digby is likely to be a street dog he may need more time to adjust and if he's travelled over from Cyprus, that alone will have been very stressful for him, this is a really good graphic on how much approximate time it can take for things to settle down for a rescue dog. Don't be too disheartened if he doesn't slot straight into family home life and being a yard dog - but hopefully he will and I'm just being Debbie Downer! But do prepare yourself for a few teething problems just in case.

rescue dog dec.jpg

Snowpup

Visit site
I have a rescue from Cyprus, best dog ever. So lovely and ignore any ignorant anti foreign rescue posts. They will be the ones paying puppy farmers for lorry dog cavapoos ?

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Such a sad loss of a young dog ??

Please make sure that Digby is certified clear of Leishmaniosis before he leaves Cyprus.

Thanks for this, it's not something I would've thought to check (so thanks for mentioning!) I've been in touch with them and all dogs have bloods done prior to leaving Cyprus so he's all clear :)

[153312]

Visit site
Sorry, but as the owner of 3 Romanian dogs ....anyone who thinks there isn't a huge problem with unscrupulous "rescues" faking chips, paperwork, even catching dogs of certain breeds and shipping them over here under the radar in horrible conditions is very, very naive.
Yes, there are good foreign rescues. The existence of these doesn't negate the harm the bad ones do.
Yes, there are bad UK based rescues too. The existence of these doesn't negate the good the good ones do.

If you want a foreign dog please, please, do not go into it blind. DO YOUR RESEARCH. On both the rescue, foreign dogs and learn as much about your pup's backstory as you can.
They can be awfully hard work. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be without ours. But with one of them in particular it has been 5 years of hard slog to turn her into anything even approaching a 'family dog' - two are always muzzled and on a harness and check chain in public or around those outside of our immediate family. They are not dangerous but it is the responsible thing to do. Yes they can be 'absolutely lovely' but they're not something to enter into blindly.
(My puppy is not, obviously, but we got her at 3mo.)

[153312]

Visit site
Sorry OP - not to hijack your post. Digby is lovely, but as others have said please get him checked for Leish. and brucellosis and do check all his paperwork and chip is correct, and enjoy him of course, he has a gorgeous little face <3

ETA - reputable rescues should be testing for Brucellosis before import and recording in passports

Last edited:

MarvelVillis

Visit site
Sorry, but as the owner of 3 Romanian dogs ....anyone who thinks there isn't a huge problem with unscrupulous "rescues" faking chips, paperwork, even catching dogs of certain breeds and shipping them over here under the radar in horrible conditions is very, very naive.
Yes, there are good foreign rescues. The existence of these doesn't negate the harm the bad ones do.
Yes, there are bad UK based rescues too. The existence of these doesn't negate the good the good ones do.

If you want a foreign dog please, please, do not go into it blind. DO YOUR RESEARCH. On both the rescue, foreign dogs and learn as much about your pup's backstory as you can.
They can be awfully hard work. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be without ours. But with one of them in particular it has been 5 years of hard slog to turn her into anything even approaching a 'family dog' - two are always muzzled and on a harness and check chain in public or around those outside of our immediate family. They are not dangerous but it is the responsible thing to do. Yes they can be 'absolutely lovely' but they're not something to enter into blindly.
(My puppy is not, obviously, but we got her at 3mo.)

Thanks for your message. He's coming from a rescue that my friend volunteered at when she was stationed in Cyprus in the RAF. She's rescued 2 dogs from there, as well as being good friends with the owner, so I know they're a good rescue and I trust them, and definitely not going into it blindly.

[153312]

Visit site
That sounds good - sorry, my posts weren't an attack on you, rather on the people who don't or won't understand that it's not as simple as all foreign dogs/rescues are bad and all UK ones are good. As with so many things, it's not so much an issue with the animals but the people who choose to get involved with them.
Personally speaking I very much believe that compassion should not have borders, but it must be done properly, and if it cannot be done properly is better off not even being attempted.

Enjoy Digby - of course you realise you are legally required to post more photos now :D